Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:01:15 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Security Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Internet Key Exchange (IKEv2) Protocol
	Author(s)	: C. Kaufman
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-12.txt
	Pages		: 102
	Date		: 2004-1-7
	
This document describes version 2 of the Internet Key Exchange (IKE)
protocol.  IKE is a component of IPsec used for performing mutual
authentication and establishing and maintaining security
associations.
This version of the IKE specification combines the contents of what
were previously separate documents, including ISAKMP (RFC 2408), IKE
(RFC 2409), the Internet DOI (RFC 2407), NAT Traversal, Legacy
authentication, and remote address acquisition.
Version 2 of IKE does not interoperate with version 1, but it has
enough of the header format in common that both versions can
unambiguously run over the same UDP port.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-12.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-12.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-12.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Dondeti, Lakshminath" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:48:16 -0500

Hi,

The length of the transform ID is 2 octets  in IKEv2 (was 2 octets in 
00, changed to 1 octet in 01, and back to 2 octets in 08 and stayed that 
way) whereas it is 1 octet in 2408.  I am curious about the reasoning 
behind the change(s).  Do we really need 2 octets for this field?

regards,
Lakshminath

---

From: Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 02:14:05 +0200

> behind the change(s).  Do we really need 2 octets for this field?

The rfc2408 transform id only contained parts of the things we
currently store in the transform id (i.e crypto algorithm). Some of
the data stored now in the transform id used to be in the transform
attributes, where they were 16 or 32 bit values (for example the
Diffie-Hellman group, authentication algorithm etc).

We did have space there, and there is also some space needed for
private use values. I think there might be more semi-permanent and
semi-documented private use values for the Diffie-Hellman groups, as
the current document says that the support for defining private
Diffie-Hellman groups is SHOULD, and there are organizations requiring
them. As the group parameters are no longer exchanged inside the IKE,
the requirements for the internal documentation for the private
groups used is much higher, and organizations propably tries to keep
the numbering separate (i.e people do not take the first private use
number, but instead take random value and start using groups from that
point).

On the other hand to be able to use the private use numbers, the
management interface should also allow adding vendor ID payloads to
identify the private use number space used. I.e the organization
defining that number 12314 is their first private group, should also
be able to add vendor ID specified by them to identify that group (i.e
the managment facility which allows specification of Diffie-Hellman
parameters should also include the vendor ID associated to the group.
-- 
[email-masked]