Subject: draft-ietf-rfc2401bis-01: editorial nits

From: "Michael Roe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 18:56:08 -0000

(1) On page 14: "There are two nominal databases in this model ..." 
                "A third database, the Peer Authorization Database ..."

     Wouldn't it be better to say that there are THREE nominal databases in the model?
     (Unless you think that the PAD is somehow not part of the model).

(2) On page 33: "Note: The source address that appears in the encapsulating
    tunnel header MUST be the one that was negotiated during the SA establishment
    process."
 
    Should this be the destination address, not the source address? (Dst addr + SPI
    will uniquely identify the SA unless it's multicast)

Cheers!
Mike

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 09:00:35 +0100

In your previous mail you wrote:

   (2) On page 33: "Note: The source address that appears in the encapsulating
       tunnel header MUST be the one that was negotiated during the SA
       establishment process."
    
       Should this be the destination address, not the source address?

=> even fixed (:-) this statement is a bit too strong for MOBIKE which
is supposed to allow to update the address(es). I can't propose a better
wording but obviously one is needed...

Thanks

[email-masked]

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 03:23:02 -0500

>[email-masked]

Francis,

Maybe you didn't see my response, which said that the text was 
outdated and that there need not be such a constraint.

Steve

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 12:22:34 +0100

Maybe you didn't see my response,

=> I didn't see your response in time... Sorry.

   which said that the text was 
   outdated and that there need not be such a constraint.
   
=> so my concern is solved!

Thanks

PS: I know many IPsec implementations which spuriously check the external
source address... IMHO the document should not be changed (i.e., no
SHOULD NOT) but this point should be checked in interoperability tests.