Subject: RE: Meeting for Orlando

From: Ami Amir <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:08:23 +0200

Johnathan,

In order not to duplicate efforts, why isn't this work integrated with the
Interdomain (GK to GK) work done in Study Group 16? The same issues are
being discussed and covered in the SG 16 meeting in Torino this week, and
this proposal could have been submitted and integrated with the work going
on over there.

Regards

Ami Amir
RADVision

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Jonathan Rosenberg [SMTP:[email-masked]]
	Sent:	Wednesday, November 18, 1998 9:13 AM
	To:	list iptel
	Subject:	Meeting for Orlando

	Folks,

	Lots of people have been asking if/when there will be an IPTEL
meeting
	in Orlando. There will be a meeting. I have asked for a 2 hr slot,
but
	haven't gotten a specific day/time assignment yet. I will send
	notification to the list as soon as I know. 

	The agenda will likely include discussion of the open issues on the
glp
	framework, continuation of discussion of the CPL framework,
discussion
	on pgrp, and a presentation on local gateway discovery. I'll email a
	more complete and formal agenda once its all been sorted out.

	Also, there was a draft submitted recently which is of interest to
us
	(PGRP). Take a look; comments and discussion on it are welcome.

	-Jonathan R.

	> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
	> This draft is a work item of the IP Telephony Working Group of the
IETF.
	> 
	>         Title           : A Framework for a Peer Gatekeeper
Routing Protocol
	>         Author(s)       : R. Davis
	>         Filename        : draft-ietf-iptel-pgrp-framework-00.txt
	>         Pages           : 32
	>         Date            : 16-Nov-98
	>         
	>    Within the ITU H.323 recommendation, the gatekeeper is a
central
	>    point of communication for H.323 elements within a zone. All
elements
	>    within the zone establish a communication channel with the
gatekeeper
	>    over a registration, admission, and status (RAS) channel.
Elements
	>    within a zone register with the gatekeeper and are subsequently
able
	>    to communicate with other elements in the zone, or outside of
the
	>    zone.
	>  
	>    What is needed in addition to the normal registration and
connection
	>    admission procedures of H.323 is a means of acquiring
information
	>    about elements in other zones. This document describes the
framework
	>    for a peer gatekeeper routing protocol (pgrp) which allows
	>    gatekeepers to exchange information with other gatekeepers
about
	>    elements in their respective zones.
	>  
	>    PGRP is a protocol supports the exchange of information among
	>    gatekeepers which may be used to make call routing decisions in
a
	>    network. PGRP attempts to extend reliability concepts from
	>    telecommunications by incorporating maintenance state
information
	>    exchange. This allows call routing decisions to be based upon
the
	>    operational state of elements in the network. This feature is
	>    particularly useful in the H.323 gatekeeper mediated call model
where
	>    a call may be completed to a pool of connection endpoints. An
example
	>    of such a scenario is in the use of an H.323 to connect telecom
end
	>    offices which connect to multiple H.323 gateways. In this
context,
	>    pgrp is also able to support call distribution to balance the
call
	>    load among the connection gateways serving an end office.
	> 
	> Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the
username
	> "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging
in,
	> type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	>         "get draft-ietf-iptel-pgrp-framework-00.txt".
	> A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
	>
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iptel-pgrp-framework-00.txt

	-- 
	Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
	Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
	High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
	FAX: (732) 834-5379                         Rm. 4C-526
	EMAIL: [email-masked]
	URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen
	---------
	This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.
---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Mario Munoz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 12:25:57 +0100

Johnathan,

as Amir suggests, why do we need to reinvent the wheel? Maybe there is another
reason you can tell us.

regards,

Mario.

--
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
                              Mario Muñoz Organero
                              Telefonica I+D
   _/_/_/_/ _/        _/_/    Servicios de Videotelefonia
     _/    _/   _/   _/  _/   C/ Emilio Vargas, 6
    _/    _/ _/_/_/ _/   _/   E-28043 Madrid (SPAIN)
   _/    _/   _/   _/  _/     Phone: +34 91 3374495
  _/    _/        _/_/        Fax:   +34 91 3374491
                              mailto:[email-masked]
  _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---------

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:51:30 -0500

Ami,

In fact, we are actively working on cooperating with ITU SG16 on our GLP
efforts. A liaison statement was sent some time back, and we are
pursuing additional mechanisms to facilitate communication and
cooperation.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

---

From: Ami Amir <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 19:45:37 +0200

Johnathan,

That's good news

Thanks

Ami

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:

> > ----------
> > From:         Jonathan Rosenberg[SMTP:[email-masked]]
> > Sent:         Friday, November 20, 1998 5:51:30 PM
> > To:   Ami Amir
> > Cc:   list iptel
> > Subject:      Re: Meeting for Orlando
> > Auto forwarded by a Rule
> >
> Ami,
>

---------