Subject: Fax over IP in H.323 ?

From: Pedro Reviriego <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:21:55 +0100

Dear Colleagues,

I want to add a fax over ip capability to an H323 system. And I have 
some doubts. I wonder if some of you can give me some help.

I have read through the drafts of H.323, RTP, etc. And as far as I know 
 one way of doing it is opening a T.120 channel.

My question is should I use TCP or UDP as transport for the T.120 
channel ? 

I also have doubts about how to send the demodulated fax data. For 
example how should the 2100 Hz tone of the called fax machine  be 
encoded in the T.120 data ? 

Maybe I haven´t got all the recommendations. Thank you in advance.

Best Regards, 

Pedro Reviriego 
---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:58:57 -0600

> one way of doing it is opening a T.120 channel.

This has been accomplished...it is documented as ITU Recommendation T.38.
This protocol has been building support for some time.

The fax T.30 protocol is tunneled under H.323 while the content payload is
transported using RTP.

This, of course, assumes that the two terminal device H.323 stacks can
interoperate.

The document can be purchased from the ITU at their Web site

http://www.itu.ch

Other work in fax on IP networks can be studied in the IETF FAX WG [RFC
2301-2306] or in my latest ID (  draft-shockey-ipp2ifax.01.txt  ) avaiable
from the ITEF Drafts area.

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC                  
8045 Big Bend Blvd. Suite 110    
St. Louis, MO 63119
Voice 314.918.9020
Fax   314.918.9015
INTERNET Mail & IFAX : [email-masked]  
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Jim Toga <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:58:33 -0800

Pedro, 

Realtime Fax-over-IP with H.323 has been developed formally and is fully
ratified in the ITU-T as of September 1998.  See Annex D of H.323.

See ftp://standard.pictel.com/avc-site/9809_Gen/H323_AnnexD.zip     

Regards,
jimt.     

>This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

*****************************************************
***  +1-503-264-8816(voice)              Intel - Hillsboro, OR.
    *** 
***  mailto:[email-masked]         mailto:[email-masked] *** 
***  PGP keyID 36 07 86 49 7D 74 DF 57  50 CB BA 32 08 9C 7C 41 ***
*****************************************************
---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.