Subject: protocol name?

From: "Hussein F. Salama" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 09:00:34 -0700

Folks,

As you know, Matt Squire, Jonathan Rosenberg, and I are working together
on a draft for the "gateway location problem." We're facing the
question: what to name this new protocol? We have the following
proposals:

1. Call it GLP (gateway location protocol). This is the name currently
used in the framework document, and everybody recognizes what it means.
However, it does not capture all the fact that the protocol does more
than just gateway location. It can find the entire route for the IP
segment of a call (the route may exist of multiple hops), and it can be
used to distribute policies between domains (carriers) on how to handle
voice calls. 

2. More representative names could be: call routing protocol (CRP) or
call routing  information protocol (CRIP) or may be voice routing
protocol (I don't like limiting the protocol to routing voice only).

Any opinions on why to prefer one name over the others? Any creative
suggestions for other names? :-)

Hussein

-- 
Hussein F. Salama
Cisco Systems
Mail Stop SJC6/3, 170 W. Tasman Drive, San Jose, CA 95134
Voice: +1 (408) 527-7147, Fax: +1 (408) 527-1714

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Sid Doijode <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 09:13:33 -0400

Hi,

How about Border Gateway Location Protocol or just Border Location
Protocol...
Synnomous with BGP .. ??

Sid Doijode

---

From: Grenville Armitage <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 09:29:09 -0400

[..]
> suggestions for other names? :-)

Path Location Using Telephony Ordering - PLUTO

gja

---------

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 19:40:37 -0500

I concur with the many who have stated that there are many types of
gateways, thus GLP is overly generic.

Perhaps TGLP (Telephony Gateway Location Protocol) or CRAP (Call Routing
Access Protocol) (you awake?;-)) or some such . . .

--
Dean Willis

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Hussein F.
> Salama
> Sent: Sunday, September 05, 1999 11:01 AM
> To: iptel
> Subject: protocol name?
>
>
>
> Folks,
>

---------

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:52:46 -0400

> Access Protocol) (you awake?;-)) or some such . . .

Well, it seems that there is rough consensus at least to change it. So,
lets think some more about the name. The most popular one so far seems
to be TRIP, Telephony Routing Information Protocol. We've had other
suggestions:

TRP: telephony routing protocol
GADP: Gateway Attribute distribution protocol
GRIP: gateway routing information protocol
GIP: gateway information protocol
PLUTO: Path Location Using Telephony Ordering (this one comes from the
author of MARS and VENUS, so the acronym is no surprise :) )
BLP: border location protocol
GLOWORM: Gateway Location with other routing metrics

I think reasonable criteria are:

1. nothing thats too much of a stretch
2. the connotation is close to what we are doing. 

Someone else pointed out that the *IP, where IP = Information Protocol,
sound a lot like RIP, which is kind of misleading.

So, here is one more possibility:

T-GREP: Telephony Gateway Routing Exchange Protocol

I like this because its got "grep" in it, which brings to mind searching
and pattern matching, which is more or less what you eventually do with
the routing information. The acronym is quite descriptive, and doesn't
sound like RIP.

I'll take more suggestions, but I'd prefer comments on the proposed
names so far so we can make some progess.

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
FAX: (732) 834-5379                         Rm. 4C-526
EMAIL: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen

---------