Subject: TRIP

From: James Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 20:25:01 -0600

The telephone number ranges used for routing decisions need to consider the
impacts of number portability when routing calls to the SCNs where number
portability is supported.  For example, the subscriber number (e.g., dialed
number) and the network routing number (e.g., the Location Routing Number or
LRN) are in two different domains in the North America.  In Europe, the
routing prefix plays a similar role as the LRN (one difference is that the
LRN identifies a specific switch while the routing prefix may identify a
switch or just a network).

If TRIP is used to pass routing information, it should be decided whether
the "telephone number" is the subscriber number or the LRN/routing prefix.
My opinion is that it should be the LRN/routing prefix.  This will keep the
routing information static rather than dynamic (e.g., changes every time a
number is ported).  Any other thoughts?

For those of you who do not know NeuStar, it is the North American Numbering
Plan Administrator (NANPA), and the Number Portability Administration Center
(NPAC) for both US and Canada.

James Yu
Principal Technical Industry Liaison
NeuStar Inc.
1120 Vermont Avenue, NW,
Suite 550
Washington, D.C. 20005
USA
+1-202-533-2814 (B)
+1-202-533-2975 (Fax)
+1-202-256-1200 (Mobile)
[email-masked]

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 00:20:55 -0500

> number is ported).  Any other thoughts?

I have a question. In your other message, you mention that the LRNs
identify switches, and that they do overlap with the subscriber numbers.
Thats actually OK, so long as the overlap is such that the LRN is for
the switch serving those subscribers whose numbers the switch overlaps.
In other words, if a switch has an LRN that is +1 212 455, that OK so
long as this switch serves the subscribers with numbers +1 212 455-0000
to +1 212 455-9999. The reason that this is OK is that a longest prefix
match on the LRN or a subscriber would still get you the right gateway.
So, my question is: is this the case? Or, is it the case that the LRN
has no relationship with the subscriber numbers it overlaps. 

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---------

---

From: "Christian Kruetzfeldt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 13:12:28 +0100

Hello,

it is not quit true what you where saying about Europe. Most european
countries use routing prefixes, but not all!
Danmark uses no routing prefixes. All phone numbers in danmark are 8 digits
long, and they don't say anything about the location.

So how should routing be done in such enviroments ?
As far as I can see it, it will not work with the LRN/routing prefix, since
there is no routing prefix, or did I miss something ?

Christian Kruetzfeldt

James Yu wrote

---------