Subject: RE: TRIP

From: James Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 02:32:10 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 1999 3:21 PM
To: James Yu
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: TRIP

James Yu wrote:
> 
> I think TRIP should carry subscriber numbers, but that the LNP dip
> should happen before the TRIP database is accessed. So, returning to
> your example, a gateway reaching only switch A would advertise
> +1-212-455* and a gateway reaching only switch B +1-212-466*. A PC users
> calls +1-212-455-1234. The INVITE is sent to its local proxy, which
> first does an LNP dip. It translates this to an LRN of +1-212-456, which
> is looked up in TRIP. The longest prefix match (which is an exact match
> for the LRN) is found. The INVITE is then sent to the next hop towards
> that LRN as learned through TRIP. The original dialed number will be
> carried in the To field.
> 
> ****** In your example, if LRN is used to determine the next hop, then
TRIP
> carries the LRN information instead of subscriber numbers.  LRN is used
for
> routing within SCN in North America.  The subscriber numbers are for
people
> to dial (plus the dialing plan) to reach those subscribers.

Its LRNs in the sense that an LNP dip should be done before TRIP
databases are accessed, but its subscriber numbers in the sense that a
gateway is allowed (although its not recommended) to insert actual
subscriber numbers, or prefixes of any length really, into TRIP. The
format and structure of LRNs as you describe is the same, no?

******* Under LNP, the routing in the network (in the North America) is
based on LRN whether NPDB dip is performed or not.  This is why the call is
routed to the "donor" switch if NPDB is done for a ported-out number.  TRIP
can certainly pass individual subscriber numbers, but the administratoin of
numbers being ported in and out would make it messy to update the TRIP
information in the associated location servers.

James **********

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.