Subject: RE: TRIP

From: Simon Tsang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 16:48:29 -0500

As John noted earlier, things in Europe are different from in the USA. 
 There are no NPACs in Europe.  Ported numbers are held either in SCPs or 
in the local exchange switches in the donor networks.  Unfortunately for 
these cases, it means that it will be difficult to load DNS and keep it 
synchronised with ported number data due to the large number or places 
where this data exists.

Legislation may force carriers in Europe and the rest of the world to 
follow the US NP model.  Until then, the Release to Pivot idea (which John 
described in his earlier message) is probably the cleanest technical 
solution to the problem in these areas.  I agree this really is more an 
administrative than technical problem.

Simon
Service Integration Research
Telcordia Technologies
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From:	Rosen, Brian [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Tuesday, December 07, 1999 4:18 PM
To:	'John Mainwaring'
Cc:	[email-masked]'
Subject:	RE: TRIP
No need to get the data from the SCPs.  The DNS can be fed from the NPAC
directly.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: John Mainwaring [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 1999 4:02 PM
To: 'Jonathan Rosenberg'
Cc: [email-masked]'; James Yu; [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: TRIP

|From: Jonathan Rosenberg [ mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ]

|I'm less sure about deferring the LNP query to N-1. In the SIP
|architecture,
|at least, each proxy is responsible for doing a translation function
|(called the
|location service), which is similar in concept to an LNP
|database query.

I understand that SIP is different from the tandem network of circuit
switches.  I think SIP will require the originator to know LNP information,
but I'm not sure that existing collection of SCPs accessed by the TCAP/SS7
signaling system is the place to get it.

|I'll also
|note that I have been told that the LNP dip being done at the N-1
|carrier is
|only a north american thing, and that in Europe, its done differently.

Of course.

Actually, last I heard the Europeans were still considering Release to
Pivot, which might be a plausible model for SIP.  Initiate to the default
code owner first, and allow for a "refuse with redirection" or something.
It's got its weaknesses, which include putting a burden on the donor of the
ported number and relying on an uninvolved third party to set up a call, 
but
it does keep the supporting infrastructure simple.

Another interesting working model is wireless roaming.  It is capable of
dynamically redirecting you anywhere (at least within a continent or so) 
and
it works at the level of individual telephone numbers.  Of course a single
wireless operating company owns all the numbers in an NPA NXX, which avoids
the major problem LNP was designed to create.  (No, that's not a typo, it's
editorial comment.)

Probably it's more of an administrative problem than a technical one.  It's
so easy to fall into the trap of thinking there are technical solutions to
administrative problems, although technical solutions can certainly help
perpetuate administrative problems.

John Mainwaring
Nortel Networks
[email-masked]

 << File: ATT00002.txt; charset = windows-1252 >>  << File: ATT00003.html; 
charset = windows-1252 >> 

---------
This message came from the IETF IPTEL Working Group Mailing List.