Subject: [IPTEL] draft of new charter proposal

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 18:34:25 -0500

Folks,

One of the items on our agenda Monday is the discussion of the new charter.
To facilitate the discussion, the proposed charter is enclosed here for your
perusal. Comments received from some folks who saw an early version of this
was that there was interest in owning the tel URL, and specifying some
extensions to it (James' LNP and freephone extensions), and moving it to
draft.

Comments welcome.

Thanks,
JOnathan R.

IP Telephony (iptel) Working Group

Chair:
  Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>

Transport Area Directors:

Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>

Transport Area Advisor:

Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>

Description

The focus of the IP Telephony (iptel) group is on the problems related
to propagation of routing information for VoIP
protocols. Specifically, both SIP and H.323 have the notion of
signaling intermediaries (proxies in SIP and gatekeepers in
H.323). When these devices receive call establishment messages, they
must make a routing decision on where to forward the call setup
messages.

The iptel group has already defined a protocol, Telephony Routing over
IP (TRIP), which solves one aspect of this problem. Specifically, it
handles the case where calls need to be routed between providers. It
allows for the exchange of routing information between these
providers, so that policies can be applied to the resulting data to
create a forwarding information base. 

However, this protocol does not address all the scenarios of route
information exchange between servers. The group will therefore
generate several additional documents that cover cases that are not
handled by TRIP. The first document is an informational framework and
requirements RFC that discusses these various route exchange cases -
specifically, intra-domain route propagation, gateway to server route
exchange (also known as gateway registrations), and service
routing. This document will discuss a framework for how these pieces
fit together, and fit with the existing TRIP framework, and will also
define requirements for protocols to address these additional
cases. An analysis of the security requirements for these scenarios
will also be part of the document. 

The group will also specify a standards track protocol (most likely a
set of new attributes and usage case for TRIP) for the gateway
registration scenario. This case is the most well understood and also
in the most urgent need of standardization; proprietary solutions are
beginning to get deployed, and these solutions are both
architecturally unsound and not interoperable.

The group will generate a
MIB document for TRIP, and will generate a guidelines document that
elaborates on typical configuration and policy setups for proper usage
of TRIP. Note that the group is not working on elevating TRIP to Draft
Standard at this time.  

Deliverables:

1. A Proposed Standard TRIP MIB specification, based heavily on the
existing BGP-4 MIB documents. 

2. A TRIP Usage Guidelines BCP RFC

3. A VoIP Route Exchange Framework and Requirements document, to be
published as an Informational RFC

4. A proposed standard RFC for gateway to server route exchange.

Milestones:

Sep 01 : Gateway to Server Route Exchange document submitted to IESG
for consideration as proposed standard.

Sep 01: VoIP Route Exchange Framework and Requirements document
submitted to IESG for consideration as Informational RFC

Dec 01: TRIP MIB Document submitted to IESG for consideration as
proposed standard

Feb 02: TRIP Usage Guidelines Document submitted to IESG for consideration
as BCP

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel