Subject: [IPTEL] GW knowing the cost of calls

From: "Cullen Jennings" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:39:03 -0700

The GW should not need to know the cost of any given route in Columbia
Laundry Tokens or any other currency. It changes too quickly and the GW are
a very difficult place to update it. Let's avoid this path.

Cullen

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:13:51 -0400

From:  Tom Gray@MITEL on 10/19/2001 03:13 PM

What sort of route selection policies belong in the gateway?

 Recall that some routes will be more expensive than others in terms of real
money.

"Anderson, Darby" <[email-masked]> on 10/19/2001 02:59:15 PM

To:   "'Cullen Jennings'" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: Tom Gray/Kan/Mitel)

Subject:  RE: [IPTEL] GW knowing the cost of calls

When you say that a G/W doesnt need to know "a" cost of a call, you mean the
G/W on the TERMINATION leg of the call, correct?

-----Original Message-----
From: Cullen Jennings [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2001 12:39 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [IPTEL] GW knowing the cost of calls

Cullen

---

From: Richard Brennan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 12:53:54 -0700

Wholeheartedly agree...

And that's why policy-based Back-End Servers (BES) were invented...
so that each network element would NOT have to be provisioned
in real-time with constantly changing destination location and
cost (price? currency? units?...whatever) information...

Richard

---

From: "Anderson, Darby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:50:38 -0700

I suppose now would be a good time to clarify this in my mind, someone
please correct me if Im wrong...

In the TRIP architecture, wouldent (an) ITAD have one or more "Soft
switches" if you will (RouteServ) with similarly paired redundancy
relationships as occurs in SCP/STP/SP Relationships, where in which all of
the destination,trunking,routing,costing/charging occurs, which then
regionally feeds down to a Proxy (LocServ), as to make kinda a cache for
thoose routing decisions, which in turn filters down to the G/W's which
actually process the voice trunking??

or do I need to drink some more beer?  lol

-----Original Message-----
From: Cullen Jennings [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2001 3:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [IPTEL] GW knowing the cost of calls

Ah yes, I should have been more careful on what I said.

I think having a terminating gateway export via some protocol a route like
"I can reach all numbers of the form +1408* and it costs my 0.04 US dollars
per minute plus a setup charge" is a bad idea. Clearly least cost routing is
a hugely important part of what we are trying to accomplish in VoIP but
having the GW need to know the cost of the route is the wrong way to do it.
Providing information that can be correlated with a billing rating engine
like "I can reach numbers of the form +1408* using a trunk connected to
Sprint in the +1 408 263 exchange" seems like a more practical way to
implement least cost routing. Something in the core of the network that is
capable of least cost routing decisions is an easier place to update this
constantly changing price information than the edge GW. Keep in mind people
will often buy a block of minutes from some carrier and once they have used
up those minutes the rate will change dramatically. So you have to keep
track of the number of minutes used by all your GW, not just one, to that
carrier to accurately know what the next call to a given trunk might cost.

If we are talking about an initiating GW instead of a terminating GW, the
carrier it came from and ANI may be important for routing decisions but I
don't see if having much to do with TRIP.

Cullen

-----Original Message-----
From: Cullen Jennings [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2001 12:39 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [IPTEL] GW knowing the cost of calls

Cullen

---

From: "Roy, Radhika R, ALCTA" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 22:33:33 -0400

Tom:

My comments are provided below [RRR].

Radhika

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2001 3:14 PM
To: Anderson, Darby

[RRR] I guess that a SIP call will come to a LS and, LSs will select GWs for
a given destination address. If multiple GWs are available to serve the same
destination, it is the policy of LS that will determine which GW it needs to
select. Now the question is: How does a LS select a GW for given
destination? It depends on many factors: QOS, cost, and other service
criteria. I believe that we may not standardize these selection criteria
now.

"Anderson, Darby" <[email-masked]> on 10/19/2001 02:59:15
PM

-----Original Message-----
From: Cullen Jennings [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2001 12:39 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [IPTEL] GW knowing the cost of calls

Cullen