Subject: [IPTEL] Parameters for gateway advertisements

From: "Henning G. Schulzrinne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 19:19:28 -0400

Beyond some notion of cost and maybe load or first-derivative of load,
are there other (optional) parameters that that are of interest for
gateways?

One parameter commonly used to advertise international trunks is "answer
seizure ratio" (ASR), which apparently provides some indication as to
the loading of the system on the other side. Is this useful? Some other
QOS measure such as (post-dial delay) PDD?
-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: Manjunath Bangalore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 14:35:12 -0700

An optional parameter that would be useful for the gateways to provide
is the Carrier on which they terminate calls. For example: A gateway could
advertise that it terminates a set of telephony prefixes on ATT and MCI, a
different set of prefixes on MCI, SPRINT and another carrier JOE.  This
would enable gateway selection based on carrier preferences/policies.

  Regarding gateway capacity reporting, I second the idea that it is useful
to advertise both Current Available Capacity and Total Available Capacity
(Static Capacity) on the gateway.  For example: Gateway  'A' could report
as available 10 DS0 circuits available out of a total of 24 at a particular
point in time, whereas Gateway 'B' could, for example, report 10 DS0
available out of a total of 96. The TRIP-Lite receiver (say, a Proxy) could
make use of this information to achieve better load balancing of calls and
is likely to be in a better position to identify a gateway that would have
a higher  probability of terminating a call successfully at that time.

 -Manjax