Subject: RE: [IPTEL] Parameters for gateway advertisements

From: "Anderson, Darby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 08:37:56 -0700

IMHO, I would beleive that ASR Would be a good thing, however Im not for
sure how useful a PDD index at a voice gateway would be, as there are other
factors that could induce further delay into the start of a voice call?

-----Original Message-----
From: Henning G. Schulzrinne [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 5:19 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Weibin Zhao
Subject: [IPTEL] Parameters for gateway advertisements

Beyond some notion of cost and maybe load or first-derivative of load,
are there other (optional) parameters that that are of interest for
gateways?

One parameter commonly used to advertise international trunks is "answer
seizure ratio" (ASR), which apparently provides some indication as to
the loading of the system on the other side. Is this useful? Some other
QOS measure such as (post-dial delay) PDD?
-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel

_______________________________________________
IPTEL mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/iptel

---

From: Jeffrey Skelton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 12:26:59 -0400

By "of interest for gateways" do you mean as a gateway or trunk
characteristic that is measurable at a gateway?

ASR and PDD would be good and can likely be measured and dynamically updated
at the gateway. Another characteristic is something like a more subjective
mean opinion score for call quality on a particular trunk. This is
interesting but is probably not likely to be measured and dynamically
updated for advertisement at the gateway.

---

From: "Anderson, Darby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 09:52:26 -0700

Well...   I was refering implicitly to end office trunking, since PDD will
be pretty consistant, and thus working out to a linear PDD for the same
amount of trunks at a particular G/W, going to a End Office, that was mainly
the reason I felt as though it prolly wasnt that nessary, when trunking
moves over to a tandem tho, is where a PDD scoreing schema could be of use
(Different measureable amounts of PDD from one End Office to a Tandem, to
another), but still this scoreing factor is a formula derived at the G/W,
and #1 theres the possibility that each G/W vendor may have their own tweek
on how they arrive at a number for that, and #2 other elements in the
network have the possibility of slowing down the call processing further,
beyond the claim of PDD score at the G/W

Im not saying this shouldent be included, Im just wondering how relevant it
is, if a majority of people are going to windup tying G/W's onto Tandem's,
it prolly IS a good idea to use that, if using E/O Trunking, it may not be
as nessary, seeing as though the whole serving area uses the same office
parameters for that switch

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Skelton [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 10:27 AM
To: 'Anderson, Darby'; 'Henning G. Schulzrinne';
[email-masked]
Cc: Weibin Zhao
Subject: RE: [IPTEL] Parameters for gateway advertisements