Subject: RE: domain names as end-point identifiers?

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:29:15 -0700

Erik,

> Erik Nordmark wrote:
> I don't think an identifier is necessary in every packet.
> But I do think it makes sense to have a shim layer above IP which
> uses locators in the packets below (for IP's routing) and presents
> fixed length identifiers in the pseudo-headers passed to/from the
> upper layer protocols.
> The reason having identifiers in every packet isn't useful is that
> if you want to avoid facilitating redirection attacks of packet flows,
> then the receiver needs to verify at some level the relationship
between
> locators and identifiers. The state (which can be soft-state created
> dynamically using a protocol similar to MAST) needed for this
> verification allows the receiver to recreate a packet with the same
> identifiers as what was sent by the peer ULP. Thus between the ULPs
the
> shim provides a service which passes what looks like packets
containing
> 128 bit identifiers, even though on the wire the packets have 128 bit
> locators.

You just described MHAP.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:00:52 -0700 (PDT)

> You just described MHAP.

I think I described the some high-level aspects of a potential class
of solutions, thus I interpret your comment as MHAP belonging to that
class or that it at least is consistent with the approach I described.

Lots of important details might differ between different possible solution
following that approach; for instance if you want to allow routers to rewrite 
source locators (in order to dynamically detect new locators to use for the
peer) and also prevent redirection attacks, then there are some important
details to work out.

  Erik