Subject: Re: domain names as end-point identifiers?

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:39:51 -0400

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:57:29 -0700
"Michel Py" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I will point out though that these issues are not limited to a system
> where routers are rewriting packets and that it is likely going to be
> easier to tackle them by containing the translation into a smaller
> number of devices (routers) vs. doing the the id/loc mapping in each and
> every host.

I have serious doubts about that; to me the boundary between API and
host-to-network interface seems much cleaner and more definite than
the boundary between one side of a router and another.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:57:29 -0700

Erik,

> Erik Nordmark wrote:
> Lots of important details might differ between different possible
> solution following that approach; for instance if you want to
> allow routers to rewrite source locators (in order to dynamically
> detect new locators to use for the peer) and also prevent
> redirection attacks, then there are some important details to
> work out.

Indeed.

I am not sure if "rewrite" is the appropriate generic wording (although
it certainly is for MHAP) but we are indeed talking about some shim
layer between network and transport where the identifier would be
replaced by a locator and vice versa.

Michel.