Subject: Node Req: Issue24: 5.3 Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6) - RFC3315

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:49:42 +0300

> > 5.3.1 Managed Address Configuration
> 
> IMO, it doesn't make sense to  talk about "implementing DHC" without
> being more specific. I suspect that all of this section is about the
> client part of DHC, not the server. It would be good to make this
> clear. Ditto for 5.3.2.

Suggested reslution: Modify the first sentence to:

  An IPv6 node that does not include an implementation of the client 
  part of DHCP ..

>    Stateless DHCPv6 [DHCPv6-SL], a subset of DHCPv6, can be used to
>    obtain configuration information. A node that uses stateless DHCP
>    must have obtained its IPv6 addresses through some other mechanism,
>    typically stateless address autoconfiguration.
> 
> Does this even need mentioning? I.e, what are the real implications
> for clients? Do they need to implement full blown dhc (the client
> part)? Or do they implement some subset?  (Hmm... reading the related
> draft, clients implement a subset... And this document has a normative
> reference to the other ID, so either this document needs to be more
> explicit about what stateless DHCPv6 is, or will have to wait on the
> other document.)

Suggest resolution: strike the paragraph.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------