Subject: Node Req: Issue23: DNS issues

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:45:46 +0300

> >  DNS, as described in [RFC-1034], [RFC-1035], [RFC-1886], [RFC-3152]
> >  and [RFC-3363] MAY be supported.  Not all nodes will need to resolve
> >  names.  Note that RFC 1886 is currently being updated [RFC-1886-BIS].
> 
> 1886-bis has been approved by the IESG I believe...

When it gets and RFC number, I will update.

> Also, I suspect this section really needs to talk about resolvers and
> resolver behavior, rather than just say DNS. Most of the server issues
> do not apply to generic IPv6 nodes. 

Servers are nodes, are they not?  Nodes can be both a host and/or server.  

> But almost every node will have some sort of resolver...

There had been some discussion about this, and some folks made some
comments that indicated that certain devices may not have any resolvers,
so I don't want to assume that almost every node will have some sort of
resolver.

My suggested resolution is to leave the text unchanged.

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:56:37 -0400

My point on this issue is that this section doesn't really provide
much useful information, or provide any useful guidance to an
implementor.

This document surely isn't going to recommend that nodes need to
support DNS servers. At best, this is a MAY. So, not much needs to be
said about server stuff.

But what is of interest to generic nodes is what resolver
functionality they should implement.  I would expect this document to
recommend something like "nodes SHOULD implement DNS IPv6 resolver
functionality" and then provide some pointers to the IPv6 specific
parts (e.g., supporting queries for AAAA records).  The current
wording just doesn't seem to say anything to me.

Thomas