Subject: [rfc2462bis] obsolete text in the interface id definition

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 17:10:59 +0900

I've added one last (minor) issue for rfc2462bis:

RFC2462 says in Section 2:

   interface identifier - a link-dependent identifier for an interface
	...
        In many
        cases, the identifier will be the same as the interface's link-
        layer address.

Apparently, the last sentece was simply copied from RFC1971:

   interface token
               - a link-dependent identifier for an interface that is
	         ...
                 In many
                 cases, the token will be the same as the interface's

But this does not really match the latest status, since the interface
identifier is not *the same as* the interface's link-layer address;
the identifier is *derived* from the link-layer address and is formed
based on the EUI-64 format of the link-layer address.

So, the proposed resolution is to update the last sentence of the
definition to:

      In many cases, the identifier
      will be derived from the interface's link-layer address.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]

p.s. this issue is recorded as issue 324 at the issue tracker.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 16:18:11 +0200

Hi Jinmei,

>       will be derived from the interface's link-layer address.

OK with me.

John