Subject: Re: "Link-Local" clarification in <draft-ietf-ipv6-addr-arch-v4-04.txt> (is Link-Local fe80::/10 or fe80::/64 ?)

From: "Ebalard, Arnaud" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 08:38:47 +0200

Le 7 sept. 05 à 02:22, Bob Hinden a écrit :

Bob,

> Section 2.4 defines the prefix (i.e., FE80::/10) that identifies  
> the address as link-local addresses type and Section 2.5.6 defines  
> the exact format (i.e.,  prefix, zeros, IID) of Link-Local addresses.

Yes, that's exactly the point! Section 2.5.6 is more restrictive than  
section 2.4. Leading to my question : is link-local fe80::/10 or only  
fe80::/64 ?

Please, reconsider the example :

- fe80:aaaa:aaaa:aaaa::1 IS link-local if I follow section 2.4.
- fe80:aaaa:aaaa:aaaa::1 IS NOT Link-local if I consider 2.5.6.

a+

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 07:17:42 -0400

> - fe80:aaaa:aaaa:aaaa::1 IS NOT Link-local if I consider 2.5.6.

Section 2.4 reserves the FE80::/10 prefix for link-local addresses, but
does not define their structure.  Rather it points to Section 2.5.6 for 
the
exact structure of the link-local address *as currently defined*.  The
larger /10 allocation will allow future specifications to define new
link-local formats if needed.

Regards,
Brian