Subject: Site local multicast deprecated?

From: "Prasad Deshpande" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 11:19:31 -0400

Hi,

 RFC3879 deprecates site-local unicast addrresses. However it does not say anything about site-local multicast addresses. Are they deprecated as well? Most of the arguments for deprecation of site-local unicasts seem to apply for site-local multicast too.

thanks
-prasad

RFC 3879:

Abstract

   This document describes the issues surrounding the use of IPv6 site-
   local unicast addresses in their original form, and formally
   deprecates them.  This deprecation does not prevent their continued
   use until a replacement has been standardized and implemented.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 09:15:14 -0700

Prasad,

On May 15, 2006, at 8:19 AM, ext Prasad Deshpande wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
>  RFC3879 deprecates site-local unicast addrresses. However it does  
> not say anything about site-local multicast addresses. Are they  
> deprecated as well? Most of the arguments for deprecation of site- 
> local unicasts seem to apply for site-local multicast too.

Only site-local unicast addresses were deprecated.  The site-local  
scope of multicast addresses is still valid.

Bob