Subject: ipv6 requirements for a sensor/constrained device

From: Julien Abeillé <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 16:32:28 +0200

Hi all,

as a follow up of discussions around 6lowpan and ISA100 standardization, 
the people in cc and myself are starting an effort to identify minimum 
ipv6 requirements for a constrained device (e.g. a sensor), so that ipv6 
can be brought to such device. This work would be closely bound to 
implementation experiments.

This has been discussed a bit within 6lowpan and I know a thread was 
started in 6man around RFC4294 update. What we would like to clarify is 
how this work could fit in IETF, in which WG, with whom, as well as the 
scope and process for this effort.

We would appreciate your feedback on this topic.

Best regards,
Julien Abeille

-- 

*Julien Abeille*
*Software Engineer*
**Technology Center*
*
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
Phone: *+41 21 822 1696*
Mobile: *+41 79 617 8881*
Fax: *+41 21 822 1604*

*Cisco Systems International Sarl*
Avenue des Uttins 5
1180 Rolle
Switzerland (FR)
Cisco home page <http://www.cisco.com>

Think before you print. Think before you print.
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the 
sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or 
disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended 
recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact 
the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Arul Kumar Chellappan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:36:55 +0530

Dear Julien,

Just putting my thoughts and comments are welcome.  I had an opportunity to
work on providing IPv6 capability for a tape library appliance.  We were
unable to strongly conclude the needed IPv6 requirements for that box.  The
main requirement for a IPv6 node is stateless auto configuration and the
optional functionalities are stateful auto configuration and gateway
configuration. Based on the level of IPv6 functionality a device needs, the
IPv6 requirements increase.  If the device needs the IPv6 just for the point
to point (master-slave) communication, then just the link local address
would be sufficient and I guess the auto config of a global address is not
needed.

Hence from my thoughts, the workgroup could first define the minimum and
maximum IPv6 functionalities of the a constrained device.  This would help
device makers to classify whether the IPv6 capable device that is being
developed is a constrained device or a fully capable IPv6 node, and
accordingly choose the needed functionalities.

Regards,
Arul Kumar C
-~-

On 1/16/08, Julien Abeillé <[email-masked]> wrote:
> the people in cc and myself are starting an effort to identify minimum ipv6
> requirements for a constrained device (e.g. a sensor), so that ipv6 can be
> brought to such device. This work would be closely bound to implementation
> experiments.
>
> started in 6man around RFC4294 update. What we would like to clarify is how
> this work could fit in IETF, in which WG, with whom, as well as the scope
> and process for this effort.
>
> *Technology Center
> [email-masked]
> Cisco home page <http://www.cisco.com/>
>
>       Think before you print. This e-mail
> may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the
> intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is
> strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to
> receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and
> delete all copies of this message.
>
>
>

---

From: "Duncan, Richard J CTR DISA JITC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:15:32 -0500

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED 
Caveats: NONE

Arul-

See my previous comments.  The DoD have already defined those requirements.
In fact, JITC has certified a few tape libraries already.  See here:
http://jitc.fhu.disa.mil/apl/ipv6.html

01010011 01100101 01101101 01110000 01100101 01110010 01000110 01101001

Jeremy Duncan

Joint Interoperability Test Command
IPv6 Test and Evaluation
ManTech Telecommunications & Information Systems
Office: 703-814-8384
Cell: 520-226-1789
__________________________________________________ 
 
-----Original Message-----
From: Arul Kumar Chellappan [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 12:07 PM
To: Julien Abeillé
Cc: 6man; Mathilde Durvy; Jean Philippe Vasseur (jvasseur); Mikko
Saarnivala; Dominik Kaspar; Eunsook Kim; 6lowpan; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: ipv6 requirements for a sensor/constrained device

Dear Julien,
 
Just putting my thoughts and comments are welcome.  I had an opportunity tFrom [email-masked] Fri Jan 18 10:42:50 2008
Content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:15:32 -0500
From: "Duncan, Richard J CTR DISA JITC" <[email-masked]>
To: "Arul Kumar Chellappan" <[email-masked]>,
	=?iso-8859-1?Q?Julien_Abeillé?= <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], 6man <[email-masked]>, Mathilde Durvy <[email-masked]>,
	Mikko Saarnivala <[email-masked]>,
	Dominik Kaspar <[email-masked]>,
	Eunsook Kim <[email-masked]>, 6lowpan <[email-masked]>,
	"Jean Philippe Vasseur \(jvasseur\)" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: ipv6 requirements for a sensor/constrained device (UNCLASSIFIED)

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED 
Caveats: NONE

Arul-

See my previous comments.  The DoD have already defined those requirements.
In fact, JITC has certified a few tape libraries already.  See here:
http://jitc.fhu.disa.mil/apl/ipv6.html

01010011 01100101 01101101 01110000 01100101 01110010 01000110 01101001

Jeremy Duncan

Joint Interoperability Test Command
IPv6 Test and Evaluation
ManTech Telecommunications & Information Systems
Office: 703-814-8384
Cell: 520-226-1789
__________________________________________________ 
 
-----Original Message-----
From: Arul Kumar Chellappan [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 12:07 PM
To: Julien Abeillé
Cc: 6man; Mathilde Durvy; Jean Philippe Vasseur (jvasseur); Mikko
Saarnivala; Dominik Kaspar; Eunsook Kim; 6lowpan; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: ipv6 requirements for a sensor/constrained device

Dear Julien,

 
Regards,
Arul Kumar C
-~-

	Hi all,
	
	as a follow up of discussions around 6lowpan and ISA100
standardization, the people in cc and myself are starting an effort to
identify minimum ipv6 requirements for a constrained device ( e.g. a
sensor), so that ipv6 can be brought to such device. This work would be
closely bound to implementation experiments.

	
	Best regards,
	Julien Abeille

	-- 

Julien Abeille
Software Engineer
Technology Center 

[email-masked]
Phone: +41 21 822 1696
Mobile: +41 79 617 8881
Fax: +41 21 822 1604

Cisco Systems International Sarl
Avenue des Uttins 5
1180 Rolle
Switzerland (FR) 
Cisco home page <http://www.cisco.com/> 

	
Think before you print. Think before you print.	
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure
by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or
authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply
e-mail and delete all copies of this message. 	

	IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
	[email-masked]
	Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
<https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6> 
	--------------------------------------------------------------------

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED 
Caveats: NONE

---

From: "Duncan, Richard J CTR DISA JITC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:40:08 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0183_01C85902.A97C2030--

--===============1105284508==
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--===============1105284508==--

---

From: "Duncan, Richard J CTR DISA JITC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:40:08 -0500

Julien-
 
If you are looking to sell to the DoD, follow the DoD IPv6 Standards
Profiles for IPv6 Capable Products.  Your product would fall into the
Network Appliance category.  It is based off of RFC 4294 and tightly coupled
with the US Government IPv6 Profile.
 
Here's where it is:
http://jitc.fhu.disa.mil/apl/ipv6/pdf/disr_ipv6_product_profile_v2.pdf

And in case you were looking to get it certified for purchase in DoD, JITC
maintains the DoD Approved Products List for IPv6 here:
http://jitc.fhu.disa.mil/apl/ipv6.html

Jeremy Duncan

 

  _____  

From: Julien Abeillé [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:32 AM
To: 6man
Cc: [email-masked]; Mathilde Durvy; Mikko Saarnivala; Dominik Kaspar;
Eunsook Kim; 6lowpan; Jean Philippe Vasseur (jvasseur)
Subject: ipv6 requirements for a sensor/constrained device

Hi all,

as a follow up of discussions around 6lowpan and ISA100 standardization, the
people in cc and myself are starting an effort to identify minimum ipv6
requirements for a constrained device (e.g. a sensor), so that ipv6 can be
brought to such device. This work would be closely bound to implementation
experiments.

This has been discussed a bit within 6lowpan and I know a thread was started
in 6man around RFC4294 update. What we would like to clarify is how this
work could fit in IETF, in which WG, with whom, as well as the scope and
process for this effort.

Best regards,
Julien Abeille

-- 

Julien Abeille
Software Engineer
Technology Center

[email-masked]
Phone: +41 21 822 1696
Mobile: +41 79 617 8881
Fax: +41 21 822 1604

 	

 

Julien-
 
If you are looking to sell to the DoD, follow the DoD IPv6 Standards
Profiles for IPv6 Capable Products.  Your product would fall into the
Network Appliance category.  It is based off of RFC 4294 and tightly coupled
with the US Government IPv6 Profile.
 
Here's where it is:
http://jitc.fhu.disa.mil/apl/ipv6/pdf/disr_ipv6_product_profile_v2.pdf

And in case you were looking to get it certified for purchase in DoD, JITC
maintains the DoD Approved Products List for IPv6 here:
http://jitc.fhu.disa.mil/apl/ipv6.html

Jeremy Duncan

 

  _____  

From: Julien Abeillé [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:32 AM
To: 6man
Cc: [email-masked]; Mathilde Durvy; Mikko Saarnivala; Dominik Kaspar;
Eunsook Kim; 6lowpan; Jean Philippe Vasseur (jvasseur)
Subject: ipv6 requirements for a sensor/constrained device

Hi all,

as a follow up of discussions around 6lowpan and ISA100 standardization, the
people in cc and myself are starting an effort to identify minimum ipv6
requirements for a constrained device (e.g. a sensor), so that ipv6 can be
brought to such device. This work would be closely bound to implementation
experiments.

This has been discussed a bit within 6lowpan and I know a thread was started
in 6man around RFC4294 update. What we would like to clarify is how this
work could fit in IETF, in which WG, with whom, as well as the scope and
process for this effort.

Best regards,
Julien Abeille

-- 

Julien Abeille
Software Engineer
Technology Center

[email-masked]
Phone: +41 21 822 1696
Mobile: +41 79 617 8881
Fax: +41 21 822 1604

 	

 
Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED 
Caveats: NONE
Content-Transfer-EncodinqGSIb3DQEBBQUAMFsxCzAJBgNV

------=_NextPart_000_0090_01C8582C.2D506D30--