Subject: Need some help with Radvd on Linux

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:27:50 -0400

Can someone help me out with radvd configuration?  Email directly.

I am running radvd 0.9.1 on Centos 5.2.  The server is sending 
announcements on multiple VLANs successfully.  The clients are Centos 
5.2 and are getting their IPv6 addresses.

Here is the current challenge:

I am working with HIP (hipl codebase) on IPv6 and I need to test out HIP 
mobility.  So at this phase, I am unplugging the notebook from one vlan 
and plugging it into another.  The system quickly aquires the new IPv6 
global address, but does not loose the old address.  So I need some help 
configuring things....

I would have asked on [email-masked], but it seems the list is moving 
and I can't subscribe right now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 15:42:04 +0200

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I am working with HIP (hipl codebase) on IPv6 and I need to test out
> HIP mobility.  So at this phase, I am unplugging the notebook from
> one vlan and plugging it into another.  The system quickly aquires
> the new IPv6 global address, but does not loose the old address.  So
> I need some help configuring things....

Why do you need the old address to get lost?  Are you simply afraid of
seeing it printed on screen when 'ifconfig -a'?

Talking standards, the old address should get deprecated (section 5.5.4
Address Lifetime Expiry of RFC 4862) but still the host should forward
packets (addressed to that address) to the application.

Talking implementation, the preferred lifetime value comes from the
received RA.  So just put the preferred lifetime value very short on
each RA, and the frequency of sending RAs very high and probably it will
work as intended.  These are in /etc/radvd.conf or
/usr/local/etc/radvd.conf.

Alternatively, think handover implementation in the end node.

In practice few chances are that one needs to unplug a cable and plug it
into another socket (VLAN change) to do mobility.  One would do HIP and
'mobility' more by using wifi-like devices.  In these cases one writes
software for 'handover management' whereby one instructs the MN to
change the ESSID of the wifi card, following which one could also do
'ifconfig delete old address' or 'ip -6 delete old address' - it gets lost.

These are actually to alternative ways to control mobility: in the
network by changing the RA parameters and in the end node by controlling
the handover event sequence.

Alex

> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list [email-masked] Administrative
> Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6 

______________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email 
______________________________________________________________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------