Subject: [Fwd: I-D Action:draft-hu-flow-label-cases-00.txt]

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:27:11 +1200

Hi 6man,

This is by way of background on the flow label. My student Qinwen Hu
and I have put it together and we'd welcome feedback. It doesn't really
lie in 6man's charter (maintenance, upkeep), so our plan is to submit
it as an Independent Submission to the RFC series.

  Brian + Qinwen

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D Action:draft-hu-flow-label-cases-00.txt
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 16:15:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Survey of proposed use cases for the IPv6 flow label
	Author(s)       : Q. Hu, B. Carpenter
	Filename        : draft-hu-flow-label-cases-00.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2010-04-18

The IPv6 protocol includes a flow label in every packet header, but
it is not used in practice.  This paper describes the flow label
standard and discusses the implementation issues that it raises.  It
then describes various published proposals for using the flow label,
and shows that most of them are inconsistent with the standard.
Methods to address this problem are briefly reviewed.  We also
question whether the standard should be revised.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hu-flow-label-cases-00.txt