Subject: Protocol Action: 'A Recommendation for IPv6 Address Text Representation' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:29:40 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'A Recommendation for IPv6 Address Text Representation '
   <draft-ietf-6man-text-addr-representation-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Ralph Droms.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-6man-text-addr-representation-07.txt

Technical Summary

  This document defines a canonical text representation format of IPv6
  addresses for use by operators, system engineers, and users.  The 
  recommendation complies fully with [RFC4291], is implemented by
  various operating systems, and is human friendly.  The recommendation
  in this document SHOULD be followed by systems when generating an
  address to represent as text, but all implementations MUST accept any
  legitimate [RFC4291] format.  It is advised that humans also follow
  these recommendations when spelling an address.

Working Group Summary

   The 6MAN working group reviewed and discussed this document several
   times. There is a strong consensus to move this forward.

Document Quality

  This document has been reviewed by key members of the 6MAN working
  group and the chairs.

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd is Bob Hinden, and the responsible
   Area Director is Jari Arkko.