Subject: AD Evaluation: draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:34:47 -0400

Hi all,
      I have performed my usual AD review of 
draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt prior to it moving towards IETF Last 
Call.  The document is well-written and I only have a few comments. 
Once we have resolved these, we can move the document along in the 
publication process...

1. Section 2

* The beginning of this section indicates that the Address Selection 
option contains zero or more policy table options.  It would be good to 
clarify that sending an Address Selection option with zero policy table 
options allows the operator to convey the values of the A & P flags.

* The descriptions of "precedence" and "label" should probably indicate 
their direct relationship to the policy table structure in RFC 6724.

2. In section 3, I was expecting better detail in *how* the information 
in the DHCP options is handled.  I am not aware of any other 
DHCP-provided information that is conditional based on the user's whim. 
  This seems like it could lead to hard to diagnose brokenness.

3. In section 6, I think it is better to point to the actual IANA 
registry where the options will be documented, rather than the RFC that 
created the registry.

Regards,
Brian

---

From: Arifumi Matsumoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 15:36:54 +0900

Brian,

thank you for your review.
I posted a revision to reflect your suggestions.

Regarding the section 3, I changed several sentences, to reduce
implementors' confusion, and to serve better for uniform implementation
behavior.

Best regards,

----
A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt-10.txt
has been successfully submitted by Arifumi Matsumoto and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:        draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt
Revision:        10
Title:           Distributing Address Selection Policy using DHCPv6
Creation date:   2013-04-30
Group:           6man
Number of pages: 10
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt-10.txt
Status:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt
Htmlized:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt-10
Diff:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt-10

Abstract:
   RFC 6724 defines default address selection mechanisms for IPv6 that
   allow nodes to select an appropriate address when faced with multiple
   source and/or destination addresses to choose between.  The RFC 6724
   allowed for the future definition of methods to administratively
   configure the address selection policy information.  This document
   defines a new DHCPv6 option for such configuration, allowing a site
   administrator to distribute address selection policy overriding the
   default address selection parameters and policy table, and thus
   control the address selection behavior of nodes in their site.

2013/4/27 Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>

> Hi all,
>      I have performed my usual AD review of draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-**opt
> prior to it moving towards IETF Last Call.  The document is well-written
> and I only have a few comments. Once we have resolved these, we can move
> the document along in the publication process...
>
> 1. Section 2
>
> 2. In section 3, I was expecting better detail in *how* the information in
> the DHCP options is handled.  I am not aware of any other DHCP-provided
> information that is conditional based on the user's whim.  This seems like
> it could lead to hard to diagnose brokenness.
>
> 3. In section 6, I think it is better to point to the actual IANA registry
> where the options will be documented, rather than the RFC that created the
> registry.
>
> Regards,
> Brian
>