Subject: DHC Review of draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 16:40:23 -0400

All,
      Given the involvement of DHCPv6 in this draft, I requested a 
review by the DHC WG.  The following is the feedback received.  I would 
like to see these issues resolved soon and encourage the authors to 
engage the DHC reviewers as needed.

Regards,
Brian

----

There was a request from an Int Area Directory to have "dhcp" review of 
the draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt document. Based on a review by Ted 
Lemon, Tomek Mrugalski, and Bernie Volz, the following issues were raised:

1. The text regarding the prefix in the OPTION_ADDRSEL_TABLE option 
needs to be improved - it currently allows someone to send all 16 octets 
rather than the "minimum" required - int(prefix-len+7)/8). Please see 
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-option-guideline, 5.3. 
Option with IPv6 prefix.

2. Section 3 should be dropped. This is a standard "other configuration 
option" and the client and server requirements for these are best left 
to RFC 3315. The current text has some mistakes and omissions if it were 
to duplicate what RFC 3315 already explains, and doing so risks 
inconsistencies, omissions, or conflicts which are best avoided.

---

From: Arifumi Matsumoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:36:45 +0900

All,

I compiled the suggested changes.

Thanks.

-----
A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-
opt-09.txt
has been successfully submitted by Arifumi Matsumoto and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:        draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt
Revision:        09
Title:           Distributing Address Selection Policy using DHCPv6
Creation date:   2013-04-25
Group:           6man
Number of pages: 10
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt-09.txt
Status:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt
Htmlized:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt-09
Diff:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt-09

Abstract:
   RFC 6724 defines default address selection mechanisms for IPv6 that
   allow nodes to select an appropriate address when faced with multiple
   source and/or destination addresses to choose between.  The RFC 6724
   allowed for the future definition of methods to administratively
   configure the address selection policy information.  This document
   defines a new DHCPv6 option for such configuration, allowing a site
   administrator to distribute address selection policy overriding the
   default address selection parameters and policy table, and thus
   control the address selection behavior of nodes in their site.

2013/4/5 Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>

> All,
>      Given the involvement of DHCPv6 in this draft, I requested a review
> by the DHC WG.  The following is the feedback received.  I would like to
> see these issues resolved soon and encourage the authors to engage the DHC
> reviewers as needed.
>
> Regards,
> Brian
>
> ----
>
> the draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-**opt document. Based on a review by Ted
> 1. The text regarding the prefix in the OPTION_ADDRSEL_TABLE option needs
> to be improved - it currently allows someone to send all 16 octets rather
> than the "minimum" required - int(prefix-len+7)/8). Please see
> http://datatracker.ietf.org/**doc/draft-ietf-dhc-option-**guideline<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-option-guideline>,
> 5.3. Option with IPv6 prefix.
>
> option" and the client and server requirements for these are best left to
> RFC 3315. The current text has some mistakes and omissions if it were to
> duplicate what RFC 3315 already explains, and doing so risks
> ------------------------------**------------------------------**--------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/**listinfo/ipv6<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6>
> ------------------------------**------------------------------**--------
>