Subject: Protocol Action: 'Duplicate Address Detection Proxy' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-6man-dad-proxy-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:13:24 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Duplicate Address Detection Proxy'
  (draft-ietf-6man-dad-proxy-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Brian Haberman and Ted Lemon.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-dad-proxy/

Technical Summary

The document describes a proxy based mechanism allowing the use of
Duplicate Address Detection (DAD) by IPv6 nodes in a point-to-
multipoint architecture with "split-horizon" forwarding scheme,
primarily deployed for Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) and Fiber access
architectures.  Based on the DAD signalling, the first hop router
stores in a Binding Table all known IPv6 addresses used on a point-
to-multipoint domain (e.g.  VLAN).  When a node performs DAD for an
address already used by another node, the first hop router replies
instead of this last one.

Working Group Summary

The working group has reviewed and discussed this draft, feel it solves a relevant problem,
and supports it becoming a standard.

Document Quality

This document has been reviewed by many people and the chairs believe there is
agreement in the w.g. to move it forward.

Personnel

Bob Hinden is the Document Shepherd.
Brian Haberman is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

OLD:
When a node performs DAD for an address already used by another node, the first hop
router replies instead of this last one.

NEW:
When a node performs DAD for an address already used by another node, the first hop
router defends the address rather than the device using the address.