Subject: RFC 6935 on IPv6 and UDP Checksums for Tunneled Packets

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 22:31:33 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6935

        Title:      IPv6 and UDP Checksums for 
                    Tunneled Packets 
        Author:     M. Eubanks, P. Chimento,
                    M. Westerlund
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 29055
        Updates:    RFC2460

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-08.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6935.txt

This document updates the IPv6 specification (RFC 2460) to improve
performance when a tunnel protocol uses UDP with IPv6 to tunnel
packets.  The performance improvement is obtained by relaxing the
IPv6 UDP checksum requirement for tunnel protocols whose header
information is protected on the "inner" packet being carried.
Relaxing this requirement removes the overhead associated with the
computation of UDP checksums on IPv6 packets that carry the tunnel
protocol packets.  This specification describes how the IPv6 UDP
checksum requirement can be relaxed when the encapsulated packet
itself contains a checksum.  It also describes the limitations and
risks of this approach and discusses the restrictions on the use of
this method.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC