Subject: RFC 6936 on Applicability Statement for the Use of IPv6 UDP Datagrams with Zero Checksums

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 22:31:54 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6936

        Title:      Applicability Statement for the Use 
                    of IPv6 UDP Datagrams with Zero 
                    Checksums 
        Author:     G. Fairhurst, M. Westerlund
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      40
        Characters: 99557
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-6man-udpzero-12.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6936.txt

This document provides an applicability statement for the use of UDP
transport checksums with IPv6.  It defines recommendations and
requirements for the use of IPv6 UDP datagrams with a zero UDP
checksum.  It describes the issues and design principles that need to
be considered when UDP is used with IPv6 to support tunnel
encapsulations, and it examines the role of the IPv6 UDP transport
checksum.  The document also identifies issues and constraints for
deployment on network paths that include middleboxes.  An appendix
presents a summary of the trade-offs that were considered in
evaluating the safety of the update to RFC 2460 that changes the use
of the UDP checksum with IPv6.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC