Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-resilient-rs-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 15:51:04 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Packet loss resiliency for Router Solicitations
	Author(s)       : Suresh Krishnan
                          Dmitry Anipko
                          Dave Thaler
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-resilient-rs-01.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2013-05-06

Abstract:
   When an interface on a host is initialized, the host transmits Router
   Solicitations in order to minimize the amount of time it needs to
   wait until the next unsolicited multicast Router Advertisement is
   received.  In certain scenarios, these router solicitations
   transmitted by the host might be lost.  This document specifies a
   mechanism for hosts to cope with the loss of the initial Router
   Solicitations.  Furthermore, on some links, unsolicited multicast
   Router Advertisements are never sent and the mechanism in this
   document is intended to work even in such scenarios.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-resilient-rs

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-resilient-rs-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-resilient-rs-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Washam Fan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 14:20:36 +0800

one question after i read this draft.
section 2.1:

   On non-multicast links, the hosts following this specification MUST
   continue retransmitting the RSs even after an RA that results in a
   default route is received.  This is required because, in such links,
   sending an RA can only be triggered by an RS.

Are you saying RSs will be ALWAYS (re)transmitted in an exponential backoff
way regardless of RA received or not.? In other words, RSs will end up
being retransmitted every 1 hour (according to MRT=3600 defined in previous
section)?

Just want to a confirmation. No objection from me.

Thanks,
washam

2013/5/7 <[email-masked]>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 22:13:27 +0000

I support this work.

Fred

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:i-d-announce-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: Monday, May 06, 2013 3:51 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-resilient-rs-01.txt
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt