Subject: [6man] #3: Need for DAD counter

From: "6man issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 20:07:44 -0000

#3: Need for DAD counter

 Your draft attempts to make the fallback predictable, by incorporating a
 DAD counter in the seeds of your nominal algorithm. But that means
 redefining the solution a only a guarantee that "the visiting host will
 have one of the same 2 or 3 addresses on the visited network." I am not
 sure it is worth the additional complexity, by opposition to just saying,
 "in case of collision, pick a new number."

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]     |      Owner:  draft-ietf-6man-stable-
     Type:  defect                   |  [email-masked]
 Priority:  minor                    |     Status:  new
Component:  stable-privacy-          |  Milestone:
  addresses                          |    Version:
 Severity:  Active WG Document       |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/6man/trac/ticket/3>
6man <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/6man/>

---

From: "6man issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 03:23:41 -0000

#3: Need for DAD counter

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Actually, it makes the algorithm simpler. By including DAD_counter, it's
 trivial to generate another Interface-ID with the same algorithm. Whereas
 if we were to select a "random interface ID" upon a DAD failure, the code
 would follow a different path (a.g., a call to rand()).

 Additionally, it's certainly better to, in the worst case scenario, have
 the address vary among, say, two options, than having a different address
 each time the host is bootstrapped.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]     |       Owner:  draft-ietf-6man-
     Type:  defect                   |  stable-privacy-
 Priority:  minor                    |  [email-masked]
Component:  stable-privacy-          |      Status:  new
  addresses                          |   Milestone:
 Severity:  Active WG Document       |     Version:
 Keywords:                           |  Resolution:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/6man/trac/ticket/3#comment:1>
6man <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/6man/>

---

From: "6man issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 03:25:01 -0000

#3: Need for DAD counter

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]     |       Owner:  draft-ietf-6man-
     Type:  defect                   |  stable-privacy-
 Priority:  minor                    |  [email-masked]
Component:  stable-privacy-          |      Status:  closed
  addresses                          |   Milestone:
 Severity:  Active WG Document       |     Version:
 Keywords:                           |  Resolution:  wontfix
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/6man/trac/ticket/3#comment:2>
6man <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/6man/>