Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 16:36:46 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : A method for Generating Stable Privacy-Enhanced Addresses with IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC)
	Author(s)       : Fernando Gont
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-09.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2013-06-02

Abstract:
   This document specifies a method for generating IPv6 Interface
   Identifiers to be used with IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
   (SLAAC), such that addresses configured using this method are stable
   within each subnet, but the Interface Identifier changes when hosts
   move from one network to another.  This method is meant to be an
   alternative to generating Interface Identifiers based on hardware
   address (e.g., using IEEE identifiers), such that the benefits of
   stable addresses can be achieved without sacrificing the privacy of
   users.  The method specified in this document applies to all prefixes
   a host may be employing, including link-local, global, and unique-
   local addresses.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-09

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-09

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 15:30:19 +0200

Folks,

This version of the I-D is meant to address feedback from Alissa Cooper,
Dave Thaler, and Tom Petch.

For the most part, these are the changes:

* A new appendix has been added, detailing the types of attacks we want
to mitigate.

* I've added some text noting that an attacker has a variety of probing
techniques, and that there are some that cannot be blocked/mitigated by
the host itself.

* Some text from the intro was moved to the appendix about RFC4941, such
that the intro can focus on what it is meant to focus.

I'd hope that, in the worst case scenario, we might need an additional
iteration/revision... but this rev 8or the next) should be ready to ship.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Fernando

On 06/03/2013 01:36 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> 

-- 
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks
e-mail: [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 6666 31C6 D484 63B2 8FB1 E3C4 AE25 0D55 1D4E 7492