Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 14:07:30 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Implications of Oversized IPv6 Header Chains
	Author(s)       : Fernando Gont
                          Vishwas Manral
                          Ronald P. Bonica
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-03.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2013-07-15

Abstract:
   The IPv6 specification allows IPv6 header chains of an arbitrary
   size.  The specification also allows options which can in turn extend
   each of the headers.  In those scenarios in which the IPv6 header
   chain or options are unusually long and packets are fragmented, or
   scenarios in which the fragment size is very small, the first
   fragment of a packet may fail to include the entire IPv6 header
   chain.  This document discusses the interoperability and security
   problems of such traffic, and updates RFC 2460 such that the first
   fragment of a packet is required to contain the entire IPv6 header
   chain.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-03

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 23:08:07 +0000

Hi, if you are concerned about a chain of extension headers not
fitting within the first fragment you might want to take a look
at SEAL where it is physically impossible to create fragments
smaller than 256 bytes.

Thanks - Fred
[email-masked]

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:i-d-announce-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: Monday, July 15, 2013 2:08 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-03.txt
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 15:07:58 +0200

Folks,

FWIW, this version is meant to address the feedback we had received so
far. Namely, clarifying what we mean by "entire ipv6 header chain2 in
the presence of ESP and a clarification of the motivations for this I-D.

My take is that this latest rev is ready to ship.

Thanks,
Fernando

On 07/15/2013 11:07 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> 

-- 
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks
e-mail: [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 6666 31C6 D484 63B2 8FB1 E3C4 AE25 0D55 1D4E 7492