Subject: comments on draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-6man-efficient-nd-02

From: Jouni Korhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 20:36:06 +0300

Hi,

Just to restate what I said on the microphone. Section 7.1. says:

   When the ARO is used by hosts an SLLA option MUST be included and the
   address that is to be registered MUST be the IPv6 source address of
   the Neighbor Solicitation message.

What about link that do not have link-layer addresses? This specifically
caught my attention since the draft uses 3GPP as a motivational use case
(see Annex A.5.). Those links do not have link layer addresses. I think
this part needs to be corrected/clarified..

Also, in Annex A.5. it says:

   Section 9.2.1.1 of TS23.060 allows periodic RA and TS 123.401 stays
   silent about periodic RA.  Though the informational drafts and

It is correct that the referenced documents are silent (they do not
require or prohibit) about periodic RAs. However, 3GPP TS29.061, i.e.
stage-3 that deals with the implementation level details, defines in
sub-clause 11.2.1.3.4 values for MaxRtrAdvInterval (recommendation is
21600s i.e. 6h) and MinRtrAdvInterval. Also, stage-3 even uses language
such as: "After the GGSN has sent a Create PDP Context Response message
to the SGSN, it shall start sending Router Advertisements periodically
on the new MS-GGSN link established by the PDP Context". This needs to
be corrected in the draft.

- Jouni