Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 12:41:20 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Implications of Oversized IPv6 Header Chains
	Author(s)       : Fernando Gont
                          Vishwas Manral
                          Ronald P. Bonica
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-04.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2013-08-13

Abstract:
   The IPv6 specification allows IPv6 header chains of an arbitrary
   size.  The specification also allows options which can in turn extend
   each of the headers.  In those scenarios in which the IPv6 header
   chain or options are unusually long and packets are fragmented, or
   scenarios in which the fragment size is very small, the first
   fragment of a packet may fail to include the entire IPv6 header
   chain.  This document discusses the interoperability and security
   problems of such traffic, and updates RFC 2460 such that the first
   fragment of a packet is required to contain the entire IPv6 header
   chain.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 08:51:13 +1200

> Currently, six extension header types are defined. [RFC2460]

Not true. Please see Section 4 of draft-ietf-6man-ext-transmit
for a complete list including references. I make it eleven, if you
include experimental values, without counting "No Next Header".

Regards

     Brian

---

From: Ronald Bonica <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 21:01:06 +0000

Brian,

Good point. I will add MIPv6, Shim6 and 2 for experimental use in the next version.

But is "No Next Header" really a header? For the purposes of this document, I don't think that it is.

                                                Ron

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Brian E Carpenter
> Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:51 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-04.txt
> 
> Not true. Please see Section 4 of draft-ietf-6man-ext-transmit for a
> complete list including references. I make it eleven, if you include
> experimental values, without counting "No Next Header".
> 
> Regards
> 
>      Brian
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 09:08:54 +1200

> Good point. I will add MIPv6, Shim6 and 2 for experimental use in the next version.

And HIP.

> But is "No Next Header" really a header? For the purposes of this document, I don't think that it is.

I agree (and that is why I took it out of the list in ext-transmit.

   Brian

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 18:31:30 -0300

> But is "No Next Header" really a header? For the purposes of this document, I don't think that it is.

Why not just avoid counting, note that some "ext headers were specified
in [RFC2460] and others in subsequent RFCs", and point to the
corresponding (upcoming) IANA registry for ext headers?

Cheers,
-- 
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks
e-mail: [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 6666 31C6 D484 63B2 8FB1 E3C4 AE25 0D55 1D4E 7492

---

From: Ronald Bonica <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 22:07:32 +0000

ack

> From: Brian E Carpenter [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:09 PM
> To: Ronald Bonica
> Cc: [email-masked]
> >> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
> >> Of Brian E Carpenter
> >> Subject: Re: I-D Action:
> >> draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-04.txt
> >>

---

From: Ronald Bonica <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 22:30:44 +0000

Or more specifically, 

OLD> 
Extension Header:

Extension Headers are defined in Section 4 of [RFC2460].
Currently, six extension header types are defined.  [RFC2460]
defines the Hop-by-Hop, Routing, Fragment and Destination Options
extension header types.  [RFC4302] defines the Authentication
Header (AH) type and [RFC4303] defines the Encapsulating Security
Payload (ESP) header type.
<OLD

NEW>
Extension Header:

Extension Headers are defined in Section 4 of [RFC2460].
[IANA.ProtocolNumbers] provides a list of assigned Internet 
Protocol Numbers and designates which of those protocol numbers
also represent extension headers. 
<NEW

                            Ron

> From: Fernando Gont [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:32 PM
> To: Ronald Bonica
> Cc: Brian E Carpenter; [email-masked]