Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-11.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 15:42:01 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : A method for Generating Stable Privacy-Enhanced Addresses with IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC)
	Author(s)       : Fernando Gont
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-11.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2013-08-08

Abstract:
   This document specifies a method for generating IPv6 Interface
   Identifiers to be used with IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
   (SLAAC), such that addresses configured using this method are stable
   within each subnet, but the Interface Identifier changes when hosts
   move from one network to another.  This method is meant to be an
   alternative to generating Interface Identifiers based on hardware
   address (e.g., using IEEE identifiers), such that the benefits of
   stable addresses can be achieved without sacrificing the privacy of
   users.  The method specified in this document applies to all prefixes
   a host may be employing, including link-local, global, and unique-
   local addresses.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-11

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-11

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 20:12:34 -0300

Folks,

I've posted a rev of this I-D, which addresses the last remaining bits:

* The two appendixes have now been moved out of the document, and
references to these appendices have been replaced with references to
draft-cooper-6man-ipv6-address-generation-privacy

* Earlier versions of the document were stated that when doing
stable-privacy-addresses, this algorithm should be the sole algorithm
used to generate stable identifiers. Dave Thaler noted that while rare,
a node could be doing both SLAAC + DHCPv6 addresses, and hence this
documenet should govern only SLAAC but not other address generation
mechaisms (DHCPv6 or manual configuration). -- I've updated the I-D
accordingly.

  -- It would seem to me that doing both SLAAC + DHCPv6 for
     addressing is more of a glitch in the spec than a feature.. but
     might be wrong. And, in any case, that's orthogonal to this
     document.

Yours,
Fernando

On 08/08/2013 07:42 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> 

-- 
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks
e-mail: [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 6666 31C6 D484 63B2 8FB1 E3C4 AE25 0D55 1D4E 7492