Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-why64-05.txt> (Analysis of the 64-bit Boundary in IPv6 Addressing) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:09:15 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 Maintenance WG (6man) to
consider the following document:
- 'Analysis of the 64-bit Boundary in IPv6 Addressing'
  <draft-ietf-6man-why64-05.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-09-30. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The IPv6 unicast addressing format includes a separation between the
   prefix used to route packets to a subnet and the interface identifier
   used to specify a given interface connected to that subnet.
   Currently the interface identifier is defined as 64 bits long for
   almost every case, leaving 64 bits for the subnet prefix.  This
   document describes the advantages of this fixed boundary and analyses
   the issues that would be involved in treating it as a variable
   boundary.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-why64/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-why64/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.