Subject: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-nordmark-6man-rs-refresh-01.txt

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:38:11 -0700

This is a new draft that allows existing networks to continue to use 
periodic multicast RA, but on networks where that is inefficient the 
router advertisements can instruct (modified) hosts to instead do 
unicast RS/RA exchanges to refresh the information in the RAs.

    Erik

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for 
draft-nordmark-6man-rs-refresh-01.txt
Date: 	Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:34:36 -0700
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Andrew Yourtchenko <[email-masked]>, Suresh Krishnan 
<[email-masked]>, Andrew Yourtchenko <[email-masked]>, 
Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>, Erik Nordmark 
<[email-masked]>, Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-nordmark-6man-rs-refresh-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Erik Nordmark and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-nordmark-6man-rs-refresh
Revision:	01
Title:		IPv6 Neighbor Discovery Optional Unicast RS/RA Refresh
Document date:	2014-10-27
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		12
URL:            http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nordmark-6man-rs-refresh-01.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nordmark-6man-rs-refresh/
Htmlized:       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nordmark-6man-rs-refresh-01
Diff:           http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-nordmark-6man-rs-refresh-01

Abstract:
    IPv6 Neighbor Discovery relies on periodic multicast Router
    Advertisement messages to update timer values and to distribute new
    information (such as new prefixes) to hosts.  On some links the use
    of periodic multicast messages to all host becomes expensive, and in
    some cases it results in hosts waking up frequently.  Many
    implementations of RFC 4861 also use multicast for solicited Router
    Advertisement messages, even though that behavior is optional.

    This specification provides an optional mechanism for hosts and
    routers where instead of periodic multicast Router Advertisements the
    hosts are instructed (by the routers) to use unicast Router
    Solicitations to request refreshed Router Advertisements.  This
    mechanism is enabled by configuring the router to include a new
    option in the Router Advertisement in order to allow the network
    administrator to choose host behavior based on whether periodic
    multicast are more efficient on their link or not.  The routers can
    also tell whether the hosts are capable of the new behavior through a
    new flag in the Router Solicitations.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat