Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-multi-homed-host-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 11:30:55 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Routing packets from hosts in a multi-prefix network
        Authors         : Fred Baker
                          Brian Carpenter
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-multi-homed-host-03.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2015-12-16

Abstract:
   This document describes expected IPv6 host behavior in a network that
   has more than one prefix, each allocated by an upstream network that
   implements BCP 38 ingress filtering, when the host has multiple
   routers to choose from.  It also applies to other scenarios such as
   the usage of stateful firewalls that effectively act as address-based
   filters.  This host behavior may interact with source address
   selection in a given implementation, but logically follows it.  Given
   that the network or host is, or appears to be, multihomed with
   multiple provider-allocated addresses, that the host has elected to
   use a source address in a given prefix, and that some but not all
   neighboring routers are advertising that prefix in their Router
   Advertisement Prefix Information Options, this document specifies to
   which router a host should present its transmission.  It updates RFC
   4861.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-multi-homed-host/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-multi-homed-host-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-multi-homed-host-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 08:42:18 +1300

This is a very minor update to resolve a comment by Jinmei and
add a reference to relevant RTGWG  work.

One point the WG might like to consider is that, following guidance
from the WG chairs, we don't have a "literature survey" in this draft,
i.e. we do not review the quite large number of drafts that have
considered this problem space in the past. There are for example:
draft-huitema-multi6-ingress-filtering
draft-baker-6man-multiprefix-default-route
draft-baker-rtgwg-src-dst-routing-use-cases
draft-sarikaya-6man-sadr-overview
(and a bunch of solution proposals).
If the WG wants us to add such material, please let us know.

Regards
   Brian

On 17/12/2015 08:30, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 13:50:36 -0600

> draft-baker-6man-multiprefix-default-route

These are historical references several years old.

> draft-baker-rtgwg-src-dst-routing-use-cases

This one is from routing solution point of view.

> draft-sarikaya-6man-sadr-overview

This draft is the only one that is most relevant to your draft, in
fact your solution draft came out of the discussions on the SADR
overview draft.

Isn't the choice clear?

> (and a bunch of solution proposals).
SADR Overview has good amount of solutions discussions as well.

Behcet
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------