Subject: Re: WGLC: draft-ietf-6man-ipv6only-flag-02

From: "Mudric, Dusan (Dusan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 15:40:39 +0000

>    o  Such traffic may drain battery power on wireless hosts that have
>       no interest in link-local IPv4 traffic.  [RFC7772] indicates how
>       this risk might be quantified.
> 
>    o  Similarly, hosts may waste battery power on futile attempts to
>       access IPv4 services.
>

Is it mentioned already that a dual network can disable IPv4 using this flag and that way a network operator can test the migration to IPv6-Only mode? If something goes wrong in IPv6-Only mode, the network can be turned back into a dual mode, while IPv6-Only problems are worked on.

Dusan

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 14:04:11 -0400

{BTW, on the subject-line topic: I have read ipv6only-flag-02.
      I find the Security Considerations do not give me any heebies or
      jeebies.  The last paragraph could be split off into a Privacy
      Considerations though}

=== onto the subject of this thread:

Mudric, Dusan (Dusan) <[email-masked]> wrote:
    >> o Such traffic may drain battery power on wireless hosts that have no
    >> interest in link-local IPv4 traffic.  [RFC7772] indicates how this
    >> risk might be quantified.
    >>

    > Is it mentioned already that a dual network can disable IPv4 using this
    > flag and that way a network operator can test the migration to
    > IPv6-Only mode? If something goes wrong in IPv6-Only mode, the network
    > can be turned back into a dual mode, while IPv6-Only problems are
    > worked on.

In particular, it's probably easier and less risky to set/unset the ipv6-only
flag than it is install/remove IPv4 L2 filters!

Since only newer devices will even implement the flag, it's pretty certain
that they will have other modern patches.  The IPv4 ARP table now gives
the operator a list of devices that didn't respect the flag and/or might be
IPv4-only.  And thus an enterprise operator (like a university) can see if
that network is ready for IPv6-only operation quite easily.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 14:52:29 +1200

> Is it mentioned already that a dual network can disable IPv4 using this flag and that way a network operator can test the migration to IPv6-Only mode? If something goes wrong in IPv6-Only mode, the…

At least two people have mentioned using the flag for this purpose, so it needs
to be on the list of issues. (I'm not yet convinced it will work as hoped
for this, so it needs some thought.)

    Brian