Subject: Consensus call on draft-ietf-6man-ipv6only-flag

From: Ole Troan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 12:20:13 +0200

My apologies for the lateness in calling the consensus on the
draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-only-flag document. The last call ended
2019-05-13.

RFC7282: "Rough consensus is achieved when all issues are addressed,
but not necessarily accommodated"

As far as I can tell all technical issues have been addressed. The
mechanism proposed is interoperable, implementations with and without
support can co-exist on the same link, the security implications are
considered and found equivalent in scope to existing ND security
issues.

The arguments made against standardizing the ipv6only flag:

- the principle of having one network layer protocol disable another.
- dependencies in host behaviour between IPv6 and IPv4 protocol
  stacks
- the added complexity in operation. "Yet another thing that could go
  wrong and must be checked".
- alternative means to achieve the goals of reducing IPv4 traffic on
  an IPv6 only network exists.

The chair has found the decision difficult, but has concluded that
there is no consensus to advance the document.

And as always it is possible to appeal this decision:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2026#section-6.5

Ole,
6man co-chair