Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-icmp-limits-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2019 11:44:48 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance WG of the IETF.

        Title           : ICMPv6 errors for discarding packets due to processing limits
        Author          : Tom Herbert
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-icmp-limits-04.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2019-08-06

Abstract:
   Network nodes may discard packets if they are unable to process
   protocol headers of packets due to processing constraints or limits.
   When such packets are dropped, the sender receives no indication so
   it cannot take action to address the cause of discarded packets. This
   specification defines ICMPv6 errors that can be sent by a node that
   discards packets because it is unable to process the protocol
   headers. A node that receives such an ICMPv6 error may be able to
   modify what it sends in future packets to avoid subsequent packet
   discards.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-icmp-limits/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-icmp-limits-04
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-6man-icmp-limits-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-icmp-limits-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 11:48:23 -0700

Hello,

I have posted new version of the draft. This is in response to
comments on the list and in IETF105 6man meeting. The significant
addition is a an "Applicability and use case section".

Thanks,
Tom

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 11:45 AM <[email-masked]> wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
> [email-masked]
> Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
> --------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2019 08:42:10 +1000

> addition is a an "Applicability and use case section".

Thanks for those excellent additions.

Regards,
Mark.

---

From: Nick Hilliard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 11:10:32 +0400

> addition is a an "Applicability and use case section".

this looks good to me.  It may be useful to solicit input from kit 
vendors to see if there are any situations where they would expect icmp 
packets to be dropped.  Otherwise the rest of the draft looks pretty sound.

Nick