Subject: open source kernel implementation of DANIR for IoT Router - DHCPv6-PD and ND - draft-shytyi-v6ops-danir-03

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 10:58:18 +0200

[excuse multiple posting]

Hi 6MANners,

This is the open source kernel implementation of DANIR for IoT Router:

https://github.com/dmytroshytyi/KD6-DHCPv6-PD-DANIR

It is an implementation of draft-shytyi-v6ops-danir-03, which is a 
better alternative to '64share' RFC7278.

In the video one can see the kernel in the IoT Router issues a DHCPv6 PD 
request on its egress and obtains a /56; it then makes several /64s out 
of it and subsequently sends RAs with these on the ingress interfaces.

https://youtu.be/DymVQY7bCUM

The DHCPv6 server is off-the-shelf.

The PDP part is not present in the IoT Router, but we expect it to work 
ok on a ptp link on a cellular network to a smartphone.

Yours,

Alex and Dmytro

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 08:54:19 -0400

Alexandre, was it intended that the accompanying video have a narration track?  It just seems to be a rap soundtrack with someone selecting text and switching around.  If you want people to understand whatever it is that you are demonstrating, it would be helpful to narrate.

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 15:24:10 +0200

YEs, it was intended to have a narration soundtrack.  We will look at that.

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 09:19:15 +0200

Le 17/09/2019 à 14:54, Ted Lemon a écrit :
> Alexandre, was it intended that the accompanying video have a  > narration track? It just seems to be a rap soundtrack with someone > 
selecting text and switching around. If you want people to > understand 
whatever it is that you are demonstrating, it would be > helpful to 
narrate.

We thank you for the suggestion for the narration.  We think that 
searchable text may  be more satisfying for the quick reader, whereas 
narration demands more patience.  So we added this timestamped text in 
the youtube page, and I paste it here for information.

SCHEMA:
INTERNET-VM1(DHCPv6Server)-intnet-VM2(Requesting 
Router)-intnet8/9/10-VM3(Client)
where "intnet/8/9/10" - virtual networks of virtualbox where virtual 
adapters are attached.

TIMESTAMP:
0.00-0.25: Interfaces do not have GUA ( Global Unicast Addresses ), just 
Using ULA ( Unique Local Addresses )
0.26-0.40: Describes the configuration of the network for VM (where the 
Requesting Router is hosted).
interface #1(enp0s3) connected to the intnet (so according to the schema 
this interface is connected ot the DHCPv6PD Server)
interface #2(enp0s8) connected to the intnet8.(currently connected to 
the VM3)
interface #3(enp0s9) connected to the intnet9.(can be connected to the VM3)
interface #4(enp0s10) connected to the intnet10. (will be connected to 
the VM3 as an example in the end of the video)
0.41-0.49 shows that is client connected to the intnet8. so basically 
the VM3 interface on the same l2 link as interface of VM2 .
0.50-1.00 shows the ipv6 routes and ipv6 addresses on interfaces of VM3.
1.01- 1.32 inserting of linux kernel module and log apperarence(The log 
informs that IPv6 GUNPs were offered by the VM1 and further VM2 splits 
the GUNPs /56 to the serveral /64 prefixes.
1.32- 2.09 shows that new prefixes were configured on the 
interfaces(enp0s3/8...) of VM2 according to the received GUNPs.
2.10-2.14 shows the part of the log produced by the Linux Kernel module 
that the RA messages were send on the interfaces.
2.14-2.49 During this time we enable the interface in the VM3 and we 
wait for the RA message from VM2.
2.49-3.03 RA message arives from VM2 and VM3 shows the default ipv6 
route + ipv6 address(prefix) learned from the RA.
3.05-3.30 Shows that interfaces of VM2 and VM3 (that are connected via 
intnet8) have network prefix "...c817:4002".
3.31-3.40 Presents the ping of ipv6 google dns from VM3. (see the schema)
4.05-  Now we connect VM3 on different interface of VM2, thus VM3 will 
have different network prefix on the interface of VM2 and in the VM3 - 
"...c817:4004" and finally the ping.

Alex