Subject: draft-ietf-6man-slaac-renum: Interface Initialization

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 00:49:46 -0300

Folks,

As with my previous email 
(https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ipv6/EM79rVMxFacHkilD6kglWikUdVs/), 
the goal of this one is to have wg discussion about each of the 
mitigations originally proposed in draft-gont-6man-slaac-renum.

The following one proposes to change a "MAY" from RFC4861 into a 
"SHOULD", essentially recommending routers to send up to 
MAX_INITIAL_RTR_ADVERTISEMENTS unsolicited advertisements when an 
interface becomes an RA-advertising interface, thus helping information 
propagate in a timelier manner.

The proposes text/mitigation is:

---- cut here ----
4.3.  Interface Initialization

    When an interface is initialized, it is paramount that network
    configuration information is spread on the corresponding network
    (particularly in scenarios where an interface has been re-
    initialized, and the conveyed information has changed).  Thus, this
    document replaces the following text from Section 6.2.4 of [RFC4861]:

       In such cases, the router MAY transmit up to
       MAX_INITIAL_RTR_ADVERTISEMENTS unsolicited advertisements, using
       the same rules as when an interface becomes an advertising
       interface.

    with:

       In such cases, the router SHOULD transmit
       MAX_INITIAL_RTR_ADVERTISEMENTS unsolicited advertisements, using
       the same rules as when an interface becomes an advertising
       interface.

    RATIONALE:

       *  Use of stale information can lead to interoperability problems.
          Therefore, it is paramount that new configuration information
          propagates in a timelier manner to all hosts.

    NOTE:
       [I-D.ietf-v6ops-cpe-slaac-renum] specifies recommendations for CPE
       routers to deprecate any stale network configuration information.
---- cut here ----

Any comments/thoughts?

Thanks!

Cheers,
-- 
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks
e-mail: [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 6666 31C6 D484 63B2 8FB1 E3C4 AE25 0D55 1D4E 7492