Subject: Protocol Action: 'Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) in Segment Routing Networks with IPv6 Data plane (SRv6)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-6man-spring-srv6-oam-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 02:59:49 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) in Segment Routing
   Networks with IPv6 Data plane (SRv6)'
  (draft-ietf-6man-spring-srv6-oam-13.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Erik Kline and Éric Vyncke.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-spring-srv6-oam/

Technical Summary

   This document describes how the existing IPv6 mechanisms for ping and
   traceroute can be used in an SRv6 network.  The document also
   specifies the OAM flag in the Segment Routing Header (SRH) for
   performing controllable and predictable flow sampling from segment
   endpoints.  In addition, the document describes how a centralized
   monitoring system performs a path continuity check between any nodes
   within an SRv6 domain.

Working Group Summary

   The document went through the normal 6man process of discussion,
   presentation at several 6man sessions, adoption call, further
   discussion and refinement, WG & IETF last call, and updated to resolve
   issues raised.

Document Quality

   Many thanks to all working group and last call reviewers.  Additional
   thanks to the OPSDIR, RTGDIR, SECDIR, and TSVART directorate
   reviewers for their detailed reviews.

   Some implementation status is captured in
   draft-matsushima-spring-srv6-deployment-status (at least eight
   network operators/deployments are noted).

Personnel

   Ole Troan is Document Shepherd
   Erik Kline is the Responsible Area Director

IANA Note

   The document requests requests that IANA allocate one registration
   in the "Segment Routing Header Flags" sub-registry for the "Internet
   Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) Parameters" registry.