Subject: WavePhore Request for a special discussion (2)

From: Marcel McNicoll <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 14:36:07 -0500

Here's some additional info in response to the replies we've got from
various IPVBI mailing list members.

The decision to open our protocol for eventual integration into IPVBI
standard has been made recently. We're in the process of re-editing our
internal documentation to make it public (i.e. readable). We will first send
a first hand description of our protocol to the IPVBI mailing group by no
later than tomorrow. It will essentially detail the four points we were
talking of in our first email, so you get a technical introduction of those
core issues:

* FEC improvement for Multi-line (high bandwidth) reliability
* Flexible framing
* Optimization for Ghost canceling and Adaptive equalizing
* Protocol overhead reduction

We're working very hard on getting the complete technical paper finished and
posted to the group by the end of this week (beginning of next week, at the
latest).

Finally, we would like to clarify the IP issue. By offering, opening and
publishing our FEC protocol to the IPVBI Working Group, it's clear to us
that, should our proposition be accepted and integrated into the standard,
we'll follow the same procedures used by all open standard contributors,
regarding public free licensing. 

Best regards,

Marcel Mc Nicoll
Streaming and Interactive Media Specialist
WaveTop Lead Technology Group
[email-masked]

---

From: Larry Taymor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 09:47:24 -0800

Thank you for replying to my IP questions. I just wanted to clarify my
understanding of your response (below) and the IETF policy. If accepted I
understand any Wavephore IP contained in your proposal will be licensed to all
users on a royalty free basis. 

Please let me know if this is not correct

thanks

Larry Taymor