Subject: IP over VBI for 625 Line Systems

From: John Clancy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 14:37:05 +0000

INTERNATIONAL DATACASTING ASSOCIATION - IP OVER VBI GROUP

DUBLIN, IRELAND

DECEMBER 8TH, 1998
========================================================

To all concerned with the IETF IP over VBI Working Group - 

As some of you may know, the International Datacasting Association (IDA)
has for some time been working on the issues associated with proposal of a
standard for transport of IP over VBI, particularly on 625 line systems.  I
write at this time, as Chairman of the IDA IP over VBI Standardisation
Group, to formally express IDA's support for a proposal which will be
submitted to the IETF meeting in Orlando, by the European Association of
Consumer Electronics Manufacturers (EACEM).  This proposal is for the
specification of a packet structure for a Teletext Independent Data Line
(IDL), Format B - this is an improved version of Format A IDL already
defined in the ETS 300708 standards specification for 625 line systems.  

This proposal is in the submission phase to ETSI in Europe, for formal
sanction as a European standard.  Given that EACEM membership includes some
of the largest electronic manufacturing companies in Europe and the world,
including Philips, Sony, Siemens, ST Microelectronics, amongst others, and
considerable effort has been invested in the document, it is my expectation
that the proposal will ultimately be approved by ETSI.

The proposal as drafted will so far cater for four data broadcasting
application types:-

- TeleWeb - An important new service being defined by EACEM, for the
delivery of Web page content to newly-designed, enhanced television sets
and also existing television sets equipped with Set-Top Boxes.  As a
representative of IDA and also my own company, Bocom, I have worked
extensively with this group within EACEM over the past 12 months, and the
project has progressed significantly to a point where technical and
commercial models have been developed.  

- IP over VBI for 625 line systems

- Commercial Data Broadcasting, to cater for the existing data broadcast
market

- Control of Broadcast Equipment

The proposal will be presented at the IETF meeting by Mr. David Tarrant,
representing EACEM.  In addition, Dr. David Rayers, Technical Director of
JdB Technology (a member of IDA) will be available to provide supplementary
information, as an acknowledged expert in data broadcasting systems design
and standardisation, particularly for 625 line systems.

I encourage the IP-VBI Working Group to seriously consider the EACEM
proposal, and to focus 625 line IP-VBI standardisation efforts in a
compatble direction, which will considerably assist in market convergence
in 625 line markets.

I wish you well in the meeting and regret that I cannot personally attend.

With best regards,

John Clancy,
Chairman,
IP over VBI Standardisation Group,
International Datacasting Association.