Subject: Moving forward (was: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipvbi-nabts-01.txt)

From: Dan Zigmond <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 13:36:12 -0800

I hope everyone had a pleasant holiday.  As you know, the late proposals by
WavePhore have presented us with an interesting procedural problem.  On one
hand, they came forward very late in the process; on the other hand, we do
want our proposed specification to be as solid as possible.

I think it's fair to say that the WavePhore proposals have only met with
modest enthusiasm within our working group: a couple of people have said we
should consider the proposed changed, while several others (on the mailing
list and in the Orlando meeting) have argued that it's not worth holding up
the process.  Although we have not had a lengthy technical discussion,
several people have argued against the proposals on technical grounds as
well.

My decision here is to forward the current spec (described below) on to the
IESG to consider for publication as a standards track RFC.  Although, as I
said, there do seem to be a few people who believe we should re-open
discussion of this draft, I read the consensus as being against holding up
the process.  However, before publishing our draft as an RFC, the IESG will
require a "last call" open to the entire IETF.  If we get feedback during
this process that we should reconsider some aspects of our current
specification, we can still do that before final publication.

This has been a difficult issue, and I've tried to allow for as much debate
as possible.  But I think the current draft represents the consensus of our
group, and that we will do ourselves and the industry at large the best
service by resisting the temptation to continue to tinker with it.

	Dan

---------------------------------------------------
Dan Zigmond
Senior Manager, Interactive Television Technology
WebTV Networks, Inc.
[email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 1998 1:55 PM
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipvbi-nabts-01.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP over VBI Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: THE TRANSMISSION OF IP OVER THE VERTICAL 
                          BLANKING INTERVAL 
                          OF A TELEVISION SIGNAL
	Author(s)	: R. Panabaker, S. Wegerif, D. Zigmond
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipvbi-nabts-01.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 17-Dec-98
	
This is an Internet-Draft, which describes a method for broadcasting
multicast IP data using the vertical blanking interval of television
signals.  It includes a description for compressing multicast IP headers
on unidirectional networks, a framing protocol identical to SLIP, a
forward error correction scheme, and the NABTS byte structures.
 
Keywords: VBI, broadcast, push, FEC, television, NABTS, IP, multicast.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipvbi-nabts-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipvbi-nabts-01.txt".

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nic.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipvbi-nabts-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

-----
To: 
Subject: 
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 07:48:27 -0800
X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service (5.5.2232.9)