Subject: Re: Draft of IS-IS routing protocol

From: Takashi Ikegawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 11:17:18 +0900

At 午前 11:34 98/10/19 -0400, Antoni Przygienda wrote:

> Tony Li already printed the draft & submitted it to this list. As well
> there
> was a round of discussions on comments on the draft that you may have
> heard about or choose
> to retrieve from the archive ...
> 
> what has not been submitted are the defect reports that ISO incorporated
> and 
> since I'm not sure as of copyrights of those, I didn't post them here.
> Would 
> you be able to upload a .pdf  or .ps  of those documents into the
> archive ? 
> 
Dear Tony:

Right now, I have neither .pdf nor .ps file. Sorry!
According to answer from ISO/SC7 Secretary, a DRAFT of ISO 10589 is
available for anyone since it has been put in (anonymous) ISO/SC6  web
server without password protection.

By the way, personally, I may produce Internet-drafts for the integrated
IS-IS routing protocol if the population using its protocol is not small,
but I need discuss with my boss. Please let me know how many internet people
used (will use, or are interested in) integrated IS-IS routing protocol.

Best regards, Takashi.
---**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**--**
Takashi Ikegawa (池川 隆司 in Japanese)
NTT Multimedia Networks Laboratories
3-9-11 Midori-cho, Musashino-shi, Tokyo 180-8585 Japan
Phone +81 422 59 4101, Fax +81 422 60 7372
E-mail [email-masked]

---

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 21:23:56 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Takashi,

|  Right now, I have neither .pdf nor .ps file. Sorry!

No problem.  From your .rtf file, we produced a .doc and .pdf file.  Again,
these can be found at ftp://ftp.juniper.net/pub/isis.  This is the WG FTP
area and archive.

|  According to answer from ISO/SC7 Secretary, a DRAFT of ISO 10589 is
|  available for anyone since it has been put in (anonymous) ISO/SC6  web
|  server without password protection.

Excellent.  Then we're not breaking any rules.  ;-)  Please let us know if
and when the draft changes.  Also, it would be very useful to us to know
when we need to get you a liason contribution to the current draft.

|  By the way, personally, I may produce Internet-drafts for the integrated
|  IS-IS routing protocol if the population using its protocol is not small,
|  but I need discuss with my boss. Please let me know how many internet people
|  used (will use, or are interested in) integrated IS-IS routing protocol.

Hmmm...  well, I think that might not be the best possible metric.  There
are relatively few people who use IS-IS in the Internet.  However, they are
well placed.  Most of the are Tier 1 Internet backbones.  In fact, I would
venture to say that most of the Tier 1 backbones use IS-IS.  While I'm not
permitted to name names, I'll just point out that if all of them
simultaneously went down, it would be pretty fair to say that the Internet
had collapsed.

Now, if you want to lose even more sleep tonight, you should think about
the fact that they're all currently using only one implementation.  ;-) ;-(

So I think that it suffices to say that there is just a small need for
Integrated IS-IS.  Of course the key component for this is RFC 1195 for
supporting IPv4.  The only other mildly interesting component at this point
would be to support IPv6.  I believe that before we embark on that project,
we should finalize the traffic engineering and extended metric work.  We
should leverage that work for the IPv6 work.

Tony