Subject: Charter

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 14:37:09 -0700 (PDT)

Folks,

Attached is a first draft of the charter based on your feedback.  This is
your last chance for comments.  Please comment by Friday, noon, PDT.

Thanks,
Tony^2

IS-IS working group (isis)
==========================

Chairs:
Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Antoni Przygienda <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Director(s):
      Rob Coltun <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Advisor:
      Rob Coltun <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
      General Discussion: [email-masked]
      To Subscribe: [email-masked]
      Archive: ftp://ftp.juniper.net/pub/isis/

Description of Working Group:

IS-IS is an IGP specified and standardized by ISO and incorporating
extensions to support IP. It has been deployed successfully in the Internet
for several years. The IS-IS Working Group is chartered to document current
protocol implementation practices and improvements, as well as to propose
further extensions to be used within the scope of IS-IS and IP
routing. Short term, the WG is expected to deliver a set of documents
describing common implementation practices and extensions necessary to
scale the protocol. These specifications will encourage multiple,
inter-operable vendor implementations. Longer term or at the same time, the
group may choose to work on further protocol improvements such as, but not
limited to, security issues, MIBs, traffic engineering support, enhanced
metric support, additional hierarchy, increasing the number of LSP
fragments, flooding LSPs over a redundant spanning tree, and support for
IPv6.

This working group will interact with other standards bodies that have
responsibility for standardizing IS-IS.

Goals and Milestones:

Dec '98: First draft of "IETF recommendations for improvements to IS-IS"

Dec '98: First draft of "IETF comments on the proposed second edition of
                         IS-IS"

Dec '98: First draft of "IS-IS Traffic Engineering Extensions"

Dec '98: First draft of "IS-IS HMAC-MD5 Authentication"

Dec '98: First draft of "IS-IS over IPv4"

Dec '98: First draft of "Maintaining more than 255 adjacencies in IS-IS"

Dec '98: First draft of "Optional Checksums on IIHs, CSNPs, and PSNPs in
			 IS-IS"
 
Mar '99: First draft of "IS-IS MIB"

Mar '99: Publish "IETF recommendations for improvements to IS-IS" as
         Informational RFC

Mar '99: Publish "IS-IS Traffic Engineering Extensions" as Informational
         RFC

Mar '99: Publish "IS-IS HMAC-MD5 Authentication" as Informational RFC

Mar '99: Publish "IS-IS over IPv4" as Informational RFC
 
Mar '99: Publish "Maintaining more than 255 adjacencies in IS-IS" as
		  Informational RFC

Mar '99: Publish "Optional Checksums on IIHs, CSNPs, and PSNPs in IS-IS" as
	 Informational RFC 

Mar '99: Re-examine WG priorities

Jul '99: Publish "IS-IS MIB" as a Proposoed Standard RFC

Documents:

IETF recommendations for improvements to IS-IS
        - Point to point IIH TLV for bidirectional adjacencies
        - Suppression of LSP purges on checksum errors
        - Relaxation on the upper bound of LSP lifetimes
        - Truncation of LSPs when purging
	- Transmission of periodic CSNPs over PTP interfaces
	- Transmission of the router ID in PTP IIHs
	- Controls for partial flooding of LSPs

IS-IS MIB

IETF comments on the proposed second edition of IS-IS

IS-IS Traffic Engineering Extensions

IS-IS HMAC-MD5 Authentication

IS-IS over IPv4

Maintaining more than 255 adjacencies in IS-IS

Optional Checksums on IIHs, CSNPs, and PSNPs in IS-IS

Request For Comments:

Use of OSI IS-IS for routing in TCP/IP and dual environments. (RFC 1195)
(187866 bytes)