Subject: ISO 10589 Second Edition Draft Update

From: "Lester Ginsberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 07:46:53 -0800

As has been discussed previously in this group, a second
edition draft of ISO 10589 was prepared by ISO JTC1/SC6/WG7
back in May 1998. This draft has a significant number of
problems, both substantive and editorial. I had previously
published a partial review of the draft (Sections 1-7).
I have now posted a revised review of the draft which
includes comments on the remaining sections as well.
You can find the revised version at:

   ftp://ftp.juniper.net/pub/isis/isis_review.01.doc
   ftp://ftp.juniper.net/pub/isis/isis_review.01.txt

Other documents of interest in this same directory:
First version of my comments
	isis_review.00.doc
	isis_review.00.txt

The second edition draft itself
	10589.rtf
	10589.doc
	10589.PDF

For those of you who reviewed the first edition of my comments,
change bars are in place for any comments on Sections 1-7
which have been revised. So you can review the changed portions
as well as the new material on Sections 8 and beyond.

I strongly encourage the members of this group to review
this latest version and provide me with feedback - both on
any issues with my comments and/or other issues with the
draft that I may have overlooked.

At the international SC6 meeting back in January, 1999, the
draft was NOT approved. Instead, an international WG7 email
editing meeting was created to run from 3/1/99-4/30/99.
Participation in the email editing meeting is through the
respective national standards bodies who are responsible for
naming an official national delegate. (Yes, I know - quite
different from the open forum style of this group.)

In the case of the US, I have been named US delegate to this
email meeting. In order to insure that any issues with the draft
are addressed, I am counting on input from this community.
Although time is short, I hope that many of you will find 
some time to review this material.

I should mention that the scope of the second edition is
editorial i.e. it is attempting to roll into the
main body of the text the 35 defect reports which have been
approved against the first edition over the years. Many of
the issues being discussed in this group go beyond the
original scope of the second edition draft. Please keep that
in mind when reviewing the material. (This is NOT to
say that it would not be appropriate to include agreements
on these issues in some future revised version of 10589 - just
to say that is beyond the scope of the current email discussion.)

Although I do not intend to filter comments based upon
country of origin, since in the ISO world voting is on a
one country/one vote basis - I encourage those of you
based in other countries to contact your national standards
bodies and see that your national representative are aware
of the issues with this document.

US WG7 TAG Update
-----------------

For those of you based in the US, there is one related issue
of importance. Until recently, the US had no national TAG
for WG7 issues. As a result, it routinely abstained on
any WG7 matters. (For example, the US abstained in January
when the vote was taken on the second edition draft of 10589.)

That situation has now changed. NCITS T3 is now officially
the US WG7 TAG administrator. This means there is now an
opportunity for interested US companies to comment on
ISO Network/Transport layer issues and have those comments
translated into an official US voting position. In order
to do so, however, you must join NCITS T3.

NCITS T3 is an open organization with no membership restrictions
other than that you must be a US based company. Meetings are almost
always held electronically. There is a $600 annual fee. If your
company is interested in joining, please contact either:

     Ed Stull <[email-masked]> (Chairman)
     Tom Rutt <[email-masked]>   (International Rep)

Indicate that you are interested in joining NCITS T3 for the
purpose of participating in WG7 Network/Transport Layer issues.
WG7 work now includes areas other than Network/Transport issues.
The current members of NCITS T3 do not have the interest/expertise
on Network/Transport layer issues. If companies with interest in
these issues do not join NCITS T3, then the US will continue
to abstain on these issues. The more companies that join,
the more credible the voice of the TAG.

(And NO - I do not get a commission!!)

Thanx for listening - look forward to your feedback.

  Les

-- 

  -------------------------------------------------------------------
    VERTEL, The TMN Company  [ formerly Telegenics / Retix ]
  -------------------------------------------------------------------
Les Ginsberg                     "Before enlightenment, chopping wood
[email-masked]             and drawing water. 
Vertel                            After enlightenment, chopping wood 
21300 Victory Blvd                  and drawing water." 
Suite 1200
Woodland Hills, Ca. 91367
818 227-1405 (Direct Dial)
818 227-1400 (Main)
818 888-0725(FAX)