Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] Dual IS-IS

From: Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:22:04 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Sachidananda K" <[email-masked]>

	Is the link state database maintained seperately for both OSI addresses 
and 
	IP addresses or is it one and the same.

Although this is really an implementation issue rather than
a protocol issue,
I assume the link state database is "one and the same". An LSP basically says
"I, router R1, have neighbors R2, R3, and R4, and the IP addresses I'm
connected to are x, y, and z, and the CLNP addresses I can reach are A and B".
So the same LSP can contain information about multiple address families.
One could put information for different address families into different LSP
fragments, but I don't see any reason to.

The forwarding table is another issue.
I'd think it would be more convenient to have separate forwarding tables
for each address family, rather than a single lookup engine that would
be able to process multiple types of addresses.

Are there still networks with both types of addresses?

Radia

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg