Subject: RE: [Isis-wg] Area Architecture

From: Jeff Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:22:13 -0400

> > Are you implying  that one IS can be
> > in multiple areas ??

> No, I am saying that an area can have multiple area addresses.
> 
> /mpb

This does sound puzzling, but has a useful application.

If you have two ISIS areas, A and B, that you wish to combine 
into one, you can do this by going to all the routers in area
A, one by one, and adding area B.    

Two routers that share a common area will form an association.
This forms a large area with all routers in B, and some in 
B as well as A.  The administrator can now go around and remove
area A from all routers.  The result is that neither Area A
nor Area B are ever split up, even though only one router is 
changed at a time.  

There is provision in the spec for configuring a router a 
third area.  This is akin to giving a loan officer a heart.
It does the them no good, and just confuses the rest of us.  

- jeff parker
- axiowave networks  

PS  Many of the questions that have appeared on the list in
the last week are addressed in Radia Perlman's "Interconnections".
Even if you have a copy of the first edition, she wouldn't
mind if you rushed out to buy a copy of the new edition.  
Not only is this an excellent (the only?) source on ISIS,
she stoops to discuss OSPF, Bridging, and many other
topics.  
_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg