Subject: [Isis-wg] Adjacency type

From: "Sachidananda K" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 14:55:30 +0000

Hello,

I have some doubts related to the adjacency type. According to my 
understanding there are 3 different types of adjacencies: ES adjacency; L1 
adjacency; and L2 adjacency.

My question is:
Let me take a setup consisting of 3 IS: A, B and C.
where:-
IS B is a L1/L2 IS.
IS A is L1 only IS.
IS c is L2 only IS.
If c is adjacent to B, then the adjacency type between B and C should be L2 
adjacency. If A is adjacent to B, then should the adjacency type be L2 
adjacency or should it be L1 adjacenc?

I shall be obliged to get my doubt clarified.
Thanking you in advance for all the responses received.
Sachi

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: "Dave Humphrey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:21:01 +0100

Hello,

Following your example.

C will make a L2 adjancency with B.
A will make an L1 adjacency with B.

A cannot make L2 adjacencies it is not configured to do so.

Basically a box with an interface configured to work at both levels
will make adjacencies with other box's at the levels at which they
are
configured. On a LAN a box will generate L1 and L2 hellos separately
to find adjacencies. On a p2p circuit there is only one hello type
and the circuit type field is used to determine whether the
advertiser
can make an L1, L2 or both adjacency.

Dave Humphrey

- -----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Sachidananda
K
Sent: 08 August 2001 15:56
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Isis-wg] Adjacency type

Hello,

I have some doubts related to the adjacency type. According to my 
understanding there are 3 different types of adjacencies: ES
adjacency; L1 
adjacency; and L2 adjacency.

My question is:
Let me take a setup consisting of 3 IS: A, B and C.
where:-
IS B is a L1/L2 IS.
IS A is L1 only IS.
IS c is L2 only IS.
If c is adjacent to B, then the adjacency type between B and C should
be L2 
adjacency. If A is adjacent to B, then should the adjacency type be
L2 
adjacency or should it be L1 adjacenc?

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at
http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp