Subject: [Isis-wg] Doubts on Traffic Engineering

From: "Sachidananda K" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 14:23:14 +0000

Hello,
I have some doubts related to the traffic engineering related draft 
associated with IS - IS. According to the Draft 
draft-ietf-isis-traffic-03.txt, certain TLVs are modified to add Information 
on traffic Engineering.
These are:
1. IS Reachability TLV
2. IP Reachability TLV

My questions:
Queries Regarding the Extended IS Reachability TLV
-------------------------------------------------------------
1. Sub TLV: 3        Description:    Administrative Group
Query:
a. Who assigns the Adminstrative Group for the Router. Is it a configurable 
parameter ?
b. Is this sub-TLV a must or optional ?
-------------------------------------------------------------
2. Sub TLV:   9, 10 & 11
Query:
a. How do we come to know about the Maximum Link bandwidth of the Link ?
b. Are there any Functional Computation for this purpose ?
c. Or can this be included as a configurable Parameter?
d. Is this sub-TLV a must or optional ?
--------------------------------------------------------------
3. Sub TLV: 18     Description: Traffic Engineering Default metric
Query:
a. Is this a configurable Parameter ?
b. Is this sub-TLV optional or must ?
------------------------------------------------------------
Queries Regarding Extended IP Reachability TLV
Are there any sub-TLVs defined for this TLV after the publishing of the 
draft ?
------------------------------------------------------------
I was also wondering if the implementation compliant with this draft is to 
transmit all the TLVs (IP internal reachibility, IP external reachibility 
and IP extended reachibility) or should it transmit either 2 or 1 of these 
depending on circumstances.

Can you please suggest any standard/draft that answers all my questions if 
at all there is any.

I shall be obliged to receive early response.
Thanking you in advance for all the responses.
Sachi

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: Henk Smit <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 15:37:58 -0700 (PDT)

> Queries Regarding the Extended IS Reachability TLV

  Quote:
    4.1 Sub-TLV 3: Administrative group (color, resource class)

       The administrative group sub-TLV contains a 4-octet bit mask assigned
       by the network administrator.

  Answer: the network administrator.
 Note, "Adminstrative Group" is not something assigned to a router.
 It is assigned to a link.

> b. Is this sub-TLV a must or optional ?

  All sub-TLVs of TLV22 are optional.

  It is defined by the layer2 properties of the link (example: ethernet
 is 10 Mbps), or configured by the network administator.

> b. Are there any Functional Computation for this purpose ?

  No idea. Don't think so.

> c. Or can this be included as a configurable Parameter?

  Yes.

> d. Is this sub-TLV a must or optional ?

  All sub-TLVs of TLV22 are optional.

  Yes.

> b. Is this sub-TLV optional or must ?

  All sub-TLVs of TLV22 are optional.

  Not that I know of.
 You can check the drafts yourself at:

     http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/isis-charter.html

  Depends on circumstances.
 To make use of the wider metrics of the newer TLVs, all routers inside
 an area (or participating in the L2 backbone) must understand the
 new TLVs. Once all routers are upgraded and configured to understand
 the new TLVs, then there is no benefit anymore in advertising the older
 type TLVs. So typically you will see routers only advertise both old
 and new TLVs during a (short) transition period.

> Thanking you in advance for all the responses.

  It would be nice if you would ask these questions from an email
 account that shows us who you are. Hotmail addresses are a bit
 impersonal.

     Henk.