Subject: [Isis-wg] hmac-md5 interoperability in ISIS

From: "Omer Sali" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 12:01:34 +0300

Hi,

RFC 2104 (HMAC: Keyed-Hashing for Message Authentication) says :
  "The key for HMAC can be of any length (keys longer than B bytes are
   first hashed using H).  However, less than L bytes is strongly
   discouraged as it would decrease the security strength of the
   function."
Note that L is 16 for MD5. 

My questions are:
1) Is there a common padding of passwords less than 16 bytes to be used
by all ISIS implementors?
   Avoiding to use a common padding clearly prevents interoperability
between vendors.
2) Do all vendors use the same procedure for authenticating the PDUs?
Are there any known implementations not using the procedure as described
in draft-ietf-isis-hmac-03?

Thanks,
Omer
_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg