Subject: [Isis-wg] OSPF and IS-IS Scalability

From: "Manav Bhatia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 15:41:47 +0530

Hi Dave OR if anybody else can clear this point ..

I was going through your presentation archived at nanog where you have
compared the two link state protocols viz IS-IS and OSPF .. I am working on
IS-IS and am not much aware of OSPF and i was looking at the scalabilities
issues related to both of the protocols. There you have said that the
problem with OSPF is that in theory OSPF topology is limited to how much we
can stuff in the router LSA as each router gets one router LSA and it cant
be bigger than the biggest of the IP datagram (64K) and so can contain some
O(5000) links.
And the problem you said with IS-IS is the number of LSPs a single router
can issue which is 256. My question is that how can we say that in OSPF a
router has to stuff all its link database in ** one ** LSA. We have the
mechanism of I-bit and the M-bit wherein we control the division of a large
topological database description into multiple messages.

Can you please throw some light on this.

Thanks and Regards,
Manav Bhatia
"C is not a big language, and is not well served by a big book." -- K&R2

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg