Subject: [Isis-wg] Default Routes in ISIS

From: "Swati Rastogi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:56:26 +0530

Hi,
Section 1.3 "Overview of the Integrated IS-IS" in RFC 1195 states that
"Default routes are permitted only at level 2 as external routes. Default
routes are not permitted at level 1"
This would imply that all the L1 routers must be connected to either a L2
only or L1/L2 router. Is it so ?? I thought that a L1 router can be so set
up which is only connected to another L1 router which will act as a gateway
to the last resort. The other L1 router may in turn be connected to another
L1/L2 router to ship packets outside the area.

Can anybody please explain.

Regards,
Swati

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: stefano previdi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:52:22 +0200

>L1/L2 router to ship packets outside the area.

this is not exactly what happens in most implementations. Default
route can be orignated in level-1 areas or can be leaked (using
rfc2966) into a level-1 area.

s.