Subject: [Isis-wg] IIH PDU exchange

From: "Manav Bhatia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:44:53 +0530

ISO/IEC 10589 says in section 8.4.2 that "LAN IIH PDUs shall be padded so
that the SNSDU containing the IIH PDU as a length of atleast maxsize - 1
octets where maxsize for level 1/2 IIH PDUs is the maximum of
- dataLinkBlockSize
- originatingL1/2LSPBufferSize"

This as i understand, is done to ensure that the adjaceny will only be
formed between systems which are capable of exchanging PDUs of length up to
maxsize octets.

Consider the following scenario.

The network is in a congested state and we are bringing up the IS-IS system.
All ISs will multicast these max sized IIH packets which will only serve to
aggravate the already congested network. Instead of multicasting max sized
packets why dont we simply multicast packets and include an additional field
where we mention the maximum block size each IS supports. The lower value
can always be accepted. This is similiar to how the value of hold timers in
BGP is negotiated.

Has anyone given a thought to this.

Please comment.

Thanks and Regards,
Manav Bhatia

"C is not a big language, and is not well served by a big book." -- K&R2

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: "Manav Bhatia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:48:02 +0530

Errata .. Please replace "multicast" with "broadcast"
Regards,
Manav