Subject: [Isis-wg] draft-hermelin-ext-lsp-frags-03.txt

From: "Amir Hermelin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:10:28 +0200

Hi,

here's a new version of the draft. The main change is the merge between the methods to advertise all types of link-state information in extended LSPs. Therefore Operation Mode 2 changed quite a bit. The newly proposed TLVs changed from two to one, and its encoding changed as well. Also, some explanation were clarified.
This just about covers all the previous requests from the wg. Please read and post your comments and suggestions.
Thanks.

Abstract

   This document describes a mechanism that allows a system to originate
   more than 256 LSP fragments, a limit set by the original Intermediate
   System to Intermediate System (IS-IS) Routing protocol, as described
   in ISO 10589.  This mechanism can be used in IP-only, OSI-only, and
   dual routers.

--
Amir Hermelin                    <mailto:[email-masked]>
Charlotte's Web Networks Inc.     <http://www.cwnt.com>

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 18:45:26 -0800

Amir,

 If I recall correctly, it was agreed that the "stub" extension
 does not buy us much, and we should just bite the bullet and
 do the right thing (i.e., mode 2 in the document ;)...

 So, I've been trying to convince myself that we really need two
 modes described in the document and the convincing part is not
 going well ;)... I keep thinking one solution to the problem is
 enough and seems that mode 2 provides all we need, so why don't
 we keep it simple and have just one? Less knobs, less code, less
 bugs, less headache...
 
 I try to argue that mode 1 does not require SPF changes on other
 systems, but then again it still has the problem of 255 adjacencies
 max, so it does not solve the issue and eventually people will need
 mode 2 anyways... So, I guess I'm not convinced... Any ideas?

-- 
Alex Zinin

> here's a new version of the draft. The main change is the merge between the methods to advertise all types of link-state information in extended LSPs. Therefore Operation Mode 2 changed quite a
> bit. The newly proposed TLVs changed from two to one, and its encoding changed as well. Also, some explanation were clarified.

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list  -  [email-masked]
http://external.juniper.net/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 19:45:12 -0800

Tuesday, February 12, 2002, 6:45:26 PM, Alex Zinin wrote:

>  max,

Oops. I didn't mean the number of adjacencies here, of course, but
the number of fragments (256) carrying only topological (non-stub) info...
I wonder if it would be possible to off-load all reachability info
to the extended LSPs, so all fragments of the original LSP would
be usable for topological info.

Alex.