Subject: RE: [Isis-wg] RE: draft-ietf-isis-hmac-03.txt

From: "Ferrell, William" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 11:31:51 -0400

How far did this draft go  ? There are some issues that stood to evolve
since then :

 "This  mechanism  does  not  prevent replay attacks, however such
   attacks would trigger existing mechanisms in the IS-IS protocol  that
   would  effectively reject old information.  Denial of service attacks
   are not generally preventable in a useful networking protocol [4]."

While I agree tht the HMAC-MD-5 will not stop replay attacks alone but when
used in conjuction with the protocol will work with the timers and other
mechanism to render the attack useless.

My exception is with what clearly seems to be opinion  " Denial of service
attacks
   are not generally preventable in a useful networking protocol"

Before "getting bent out of shape" I realize that there is always a chance
of mis-communication would like a full and clearer explanation. The other
expanation is that this rfc and the writer's opinion has indeed evolved.
Will
_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg