Subject: RE: [Isis-wg] MIB doctor issues with draft-ietf-isis-wg-mib-21.txt

From: "Parker, Jeff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:44:58 -0400

Mike, Julia -
    Thanks: I will address these issues early next week.  

- jeff parker

-----Original Message-----
From:	[email-masked] on behalf of C. M. Heard
Sent:	Wed 6/29/2005 2:36 AM
To:	ISIS WG
Cc:	Wijnen, Bert (Bert)
Subject:	[Isis-wg] MIB doctor issues with draft-ietf-isis-wg-mib-21.txt 

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 [email-masked] wrote:
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line
> Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the
> IS-IS for IP Internets Working Group of the IETF.
> 
> 	Title		: Management Information Base for IS-IS
> 	Author(s)	: J. Parker
> 	Filename	: draft-ietf-isis-wg-mib-21.txt
> 	Pages		: 102
> 	Date		: 2005-6-24
...
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-isis-wg-mib-21.txt

With a few exceptions noted below, the changes in going from version
20 to version 21 look OK to me.  I didn't catch these issues in the
pre-submission discussion because I don't regularly monitor this
list; sorry about that.  Anyway, here are the complaints:

- Typo in isisSysLevelSetOverloadUntil DESCRIPTION clause:

OLD:
             If isisSysLevelSetOverload is false, the system clears
             the overload bit when isisSysLevelSetOverloadUntil
             jave elapsed, if the system has not run out of memory."
NEW:
             If isisSysLevelSetOverload is false, the system clears
             the overload bit when isisSysLevelSetOverloadUntil seconds
             have elapsed, if the system has not run out of memory."

- The DESCRIPTION clauses for the objects isisCircLastUpTime and
isisISAdjLastUpTime are now inconsistent with the SYNTAX values.
What has happened is that these objects are now of type TimeStamp,
and so are values of sysUpTime (see RFC 2579), which has units of
1/100 of a second since the last re-initialization of the network
management portion of the system (RFC 3418).  However, the
DESCRIPTION clauses say that the xyzLastUpTime objects represent the
"number of seconds since system startup" that the relevent event
occurred.  Possible remedies are:

(a) re-instate the version 20 SYNTAX of Unsigned32 in both
definitions;

(b) change the phrase "number of seconds since system startup" to
"number of hundredths of a second since the network management
portion of the system was last re-initialized" in both definitions.

These are the only MIB Doctor issues that I personally have with
the draft.  However, I would like to say that Joan Cucchiara's
suggestion to change the SYNTAX of isisCircIfIndex from
InterfaceIndex to InterfaceIndexOrZero is the correct thing to
do _if_ it is agreed that there may be circuits for which there
is no corresponding IfEntry.

Regards,

Mike Heard

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg