Subject: [Isis-wg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-isis-wg-mib-21.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IS-IS for IP Internets Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Management Information Base for IS-IS
	Author(s)	: J. Parker
	Filename	: draft-ietf-isis-wg-mib-21.txt
	Pages		: 102
	Date		: 2005-6-24
	
This document describes a management information base for the IS-IS
   Routing protocol when it is used to construct routing tables for IP
   networks.

   This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
   for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.

   This memo is based on an IETF draft by Chris Gunner.  This version
   has been modified to include MIB-II syntax, to exclude portions of
   the protocol that are not relevant to IP, such as the ES-IS protocol,
   and to add management support for current practice.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-isis-wg-mib-21.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-isis-wg-mib-21.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-isis-wg-mib-21.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Isis-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isis-wg

---

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:36:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 [email-masked] wrote:
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line
> Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the
> IS-IS for IP Internets Working Group of the IETF.
> 
...
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-isis-wg-mib-21.txt

With a few exceptions noted below, the changes in going from version
20 to version 21 look OK to me.  I didn't catch these issues in the
pre-submission discussion because I don't regularly monitor this
list; sorry about that.  Anyway, here are the complaints:

- Typo in isisSysLevelSetOverloadUntil DESCRIPTION clause:

OLD:
             If isisSysLevelSetOverload is false, the system clears
             the overload bit when isisSysLevelSetOverloadUntil
             jave elapsed, if the system has not run out of memory."
NEW:
             If isisSysLevelSetOverload is false, the system clears
             the overload bit when isisSysLevelSetOverloadUntil seconds
             have elapsed, if the system has not run out of memory."

- The DESCRIPTION clauses for the objects isisCircLastUpTime and
isisISAdjLastUpTime are now inconsistent with the SYNTAX values.
What has happened is that these objects are now of type TimeStamp,
and so are values of sysUpTime (see RFC 2579), which has units of
1/100 of a second since the last re-initialization of the network
management portion of the system (RFC 3418).  However, the
DESCRIPTION clauses say that the xyzLastUpTime objects represent the
"number of seconds since system startup" that the relevent event
occurred.  Possible remedies are:

(a) re-instate the version 20 SYNTAX of Unsigned32 in both
definitions;

(b) change the phrase "number of seconds since system startup" to
"number of hundredths of a second since the network management
portion of the system was last re-initialized" in both definitions.

These are the only MIB Doctor issues that I personally have with
the draft.  However, I would like to say that Joan Cucchiara's
suggestion to change the SYNTAX of isisCircIfIndex from
InterfaceIndex to InterfaceIndexOrZero is the correct thing to
do _if_ it is agreed that there may be circuits for which there
is no corresponding IfEntry.

Regards,

Mike Heard