Subject: [Isms] Tests for ISMS

From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:15:12 -0700 (PDT)

HI,

In evaluating any candidate ISMS solution, I'd like to remind
all of the tests that I use:

1) What identity credentials does the candidate require from EACH
end of the SNMP operation pair? 

2) Does each end "already have" those credentials
due to setting up some other service? If they don't
have the credentials, then REJECT the candidate.

3) Does the candidate require that an existing security
infrastructure be modified (or extended) for the
candidate to work? If so, then REJECT the candidate.

4) Do other "management interfaces" use the same "operations
model". If not, then hold the candidate to higher
scrutiny. 

Note that the following are NOT reasons to REJECT a candidate:
1) backwards compatibility with an existing SNMP security model
2) new code for SNMP agents or managers
3) new SNMP terminology and ways of viewing the management model

Regards,
/david t. perkins

_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms