Subject: Re: [Isms] d) was dublin isms meeting minutes

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 11:11:09 -0400

--On Thursday, September 04, 2008 06:59:03 AM -0400 Randy Presuhn 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> To set an object to a potentially non-normalized value, and to
> have the agent automagically normalizing it, is asking for
> trouble, especially with INDEXes

Actually, it turns out you can do something reasonable here, if you're 
careful.  The key is that when a field was not originally defined to be 
normalized, you more or less have to store what you were given.  However, 
you can do lookups which are normalization-insensitive but prefer an exact 
match.  My understanding is that this approach has worked fairly well for 
Sun in ZFS.

In any case, this is a topic for another working group, or perhaps an 
individual submission.

-- Jeff
_______________________________________________
Isms mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/isms

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 21:57:11 -0700

Hi -

> From: "Jeffrey Hutzelman" <[email-masked]>
> To: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2008 8:11 AM
> Subject: Re: [Isms] d) was dublin isms meeting minutes
>
...

It might work there, but for SNMP get-next, get-bulk, and VACM to work
correctly, messing with the value of INDEXes is a complete no-no.

Randy