Subject: RSVP filter spec vs. data plane packet classifier

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 11:03:36 +0200

Hi,

[Sorry if this seems off-topic for the current state of NSIS, but I need
your help :-]

I'm sure that this issue is clear to most of you since a decade ago, but I
need a clarification on this:

Exactly what parameters are expected to go to the multi-field classifier *in
the data path* to classify the packets for the RSVP reserved service? Assume
just normal IPv4. Note that I'm not interested on any of the possible
classification done for the RSVP messages themselves (the control plane)
now.

Options:

1) Just the fields present in the filter spec [source address and (optional)
port]

2) Fields in the filter spec + the fields in the session object [source
address, (optional) source port, protocol Id, destination address,
(optional) destination port]

Additionally, WF-style reservations have no filter specs, so it seems that
just the fields present in the session object can be utilized?

Thanks,

	Jarno

---

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 13:57:42 -0800 (PST)

*> From [email-masked]  Fri Nov  9 01:39:53 2001
  *> From: [email-masked]
  *> To: [email-masked]
  *> Cc: [email-masked]
  *> Subject: RSVP filter spec vs. data plane packet classifier
  *> Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 11:03:36 +0200 
  *> MIME-Version: 1.0
  *> 
  *> Hi,
  *> 
  *> [Sorry if this seems off-topic for the current state of NSIS, but I need
  *> your help :-]
  *> 
  *> I'm sure that this issue is clear to most of you since a decade ago, but I

Yes.

  *> need a clarification on this:
  *> 
  *> Exactly what parameters are expected to go to the multi-field classifier *in
  *> the data path* to classify the packets for the RSVP reserved service? Assume
  *> just normal IPv4. Note that I'm not interested on any of the possible
  *> classification done for the RSVP messages themselves (the control plane)
  *> now.
  *> 
  *> Options:
  *> 
  *> 1) Just the fields present in the filter spec [source address and (optional)
  *> port]

No.

  *> 
  *> 2) Fields in the filter spec + the fields in the session object [source
  *> address, (optional) source port, protocol Id, destination address,
  *> (optional) destination port]

Yes, except for wildcard sender selection (Fig. 2, RFC 2205).

  *> 
  *> Additionally, WF-style reservations have no filter specs, so it seems that
  *> just the fields present in the session object can be utilized?
  *> 

Yes.

Bob Braden

  *> Thanks,
  *> 
  *> 	Jarno
  *>