Subject: [its] Alvaro Retana's Block on charter-ietf-ipwave-00-01: (with BLOCK)

From: "Alvaro Retana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 10:45:12 -0700

Alvaro Retana has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-ipwave-00-01: Block

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-ipwave/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
BLOCK:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

My objection to this charter is not about the chartered work (as others
have mentioned, and I agree with), but about the mention of potential
future items:

"If the group is successful in accomplishing its first goals, then it can
be rechartered to work on other things (examples include but are not
limited to: a 1-hop mechanism of IP prefix exchange between moving
networks, an n-hop extension, naming for moving networks; generalization
for trains, air, unmanned and space use-cases)."

The mentioned "a 1-hop mechanism of IP prefix exchange between moving
networks" and "an n-hop extension" sound too much like routing to me.  A
set of 1-hop connections can easily become n-hops...  I understand the
potential constraints in connection times that may exist in the
applications, but other IETF work have similar constraints, also address
moving network and general applicability such as “trains, air…”.  For
example, the manet WG also deals with applications that have similar
requirements/constrains and applications.

I would prefer if the expectation of future work is not part of this
initial charter, and we deal with future items when/if the time comes. 
At that point we can figure if existing protocols or WGs meet the proper
requirements or not.  

To be clear: I'm not objecting to the future work, but to setting the
expectation without taking into account existing work and WGs.