Subject: [ipwave] Comments on draft-ietf-ipwave-vehicular-networking-23

From: "Templin (US), Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 14:05:34 +0000

Paul, a couple of comments on the -23 draft version:

1) For AERO, change the title expansion to “Automatic Extended Route Optimization”.

2) The correct references for AERO and OMNI are:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-6man-aero/34/
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-6man-omni/47/

3) Appendix B now seems to say a lot about RPL and not much about AERO/OMNI.
Please add the following to Appendix B:

"AERO and OMNI together securely and efficiently address the “6 M’s of
Modern Internetworking” for mobile V2V, V2I and V2X Clients, including:

1. Multilink – a Client's ability to coordinate multiple diverse underlying data links as a
single logical unit (i.e., the OMNI interface) to achieve the required communications
performance and reliability objectives.

2. Multinet - the ability to span the OMNI link over a segment routing topology with multiple
diverse administrative domain network segments while maintaining seamless end-to-end
communications between mobile Clients and correspondents such as air traffic controllers,
fleet administrators, etc.

3. Mobility - a Client's ability to change network points of attachment (e.g., moving between
wireless base stations) which may result in an underlying interface address change, but
without disruptions to ongoing communication sessions with peers over the OMNI link.

4. Multicast - the ability to send a single network transmission that reaches multiple
Clients belonging to the same interest group, but without disturbing other Clients not
subscribed to the interest group.

5. Multihop - a mobile Client vehicle-to-vehicle relaying capability useful when multiple
forwarding hops between vehicles may be necessary to "reach back" to an infrastructure
access point connection to the OMNI link.

6. MTU assurance - the ability to deliver packets of various robust sizes between peers
without loss due to a link size restriction, and to dynamically adjust packets sizes to
achieve the optimal performance for each independent traffic flow."

That is all I have for now, but will let you know if I notice anything else.

Thanks - Fred

---

From: "Mr. Jaehoon Paul Jeong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 19:17:53 +0900

Hi Fred,
Sure, I will add your suggested text for AERO and OMNI to the Appendix B of
our IPWAVE PS draft
along with your suggested updates.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Paul