Subject: Re: [iucg] Preparation for IDNABIS Stockholm

From: jefsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 01:04:24 +0200

Dear all,
1. I started answering John's mail with a first part which takes 
time. However, it is only a rationale that explains my/france@large 
positions. It does not affect IDNA at this stage.

2. what is proposed is a ballanced compromise. As every ballanced 
compromise it can turn catastrophic, but the IETF/LC is the part of 
the Internet standard process to discuss that risk. So, I do support 
at this stage this compromise provided "Mapping should NOT be a MUST 
on lookup, to allow for the fact that a substantial range of 
transformations may take place from the time a possible DNS reference 
is input into an application to the point where a DNS query is made."

3. I have also the following comment on documents:
     - I consider some points in the Mapping Document as 
architecturally fundamental, and therefore that this document needs 
to be a standard track document.
     - I consider draft-ietf-idnabis-tables should be a BCP 
implementing a IANA informational open DDDS registry to record the 
current status of the considered codepoints by application designers, 
registries, and in the future presentations and coding systems. The 
presented tables would be considered as the default of such a registry.

We intend to focus on the preparation of a presentation of the 
Interplus, built over the IDNA2008 premises, in January 2010 at a 
telecommunications industry meeting in Paris where Vint Cerf was 
invited but declined. Hopefully, IDNA2008 should have at least been 
approved by the IESG at this date.

jfc

At 21:02 18/07/2009, Vint Cerf wrote:
>Folks,
>We must achieve consensus on our documents and submit them to the AD
>at or shortly after our WG meeting in Stockholm.
>
>here is where I think we are:
>
>We have essential consensus on the five primary documents (rationale,
>defs, bidi and protocol). There are ongoing discussions about some
>specifics in Tables. We are also discussing the language of the sixth
>document (mapping).  Bidi and Tables have expired as I-Ds and need to
>be re-issued.