Subject: [iucg] your ITU study on Internet classes based DNS competition and multilinguisation

From: JFC Morfin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 00:59:23 +0200

Dear Francis,

Unless your target is only to create a governance political issue, I 
suggest your priority to be not so much to explore the technical and 
political possibilities that are allowed by the use of the class 
parameter in the way that you described it in your presentation, but 
rather the technical and political impossibilities and blockings that 
it would meet and that you would have to overcome first as well as 
how to obtain the adherence of those who could oppose such a class 
system, or suffer from it.

You may want to consider these three aspects of importance:

* Internet classes are actually a TLD suffix, i.e., a super-root. As 
such, they are included in the Interplus ULDs. Their particular 
problem is not their mechanics but rather their interoperability with 
other resolving services from other technologies as well as with 
usage. Are you excited about using "in%ibm.com" "hs%ibm.com", etc.? 
Please let us not confuse the technical (classes) and 
commercial/political issues. Classes have many possible uses other 
than commercial/political layer violations and mnemonic confusion. 
The ITU and IETF do not deal with the same communications strata. Let 
not engage them into political and economic issues without serious 
technical feasilibilty discussions first.

* the DNS fully supports UTF-8 naming. This is something that 
Microsoft seems to be very involved in for private networks. 
Technical debates seem to show that one of the main strengths of the 
DNS is to be rustic and to use 7 bits LDH. Wanting to go any further 
with Unicode tools is inappropriate. We had a similar experience with 
Debbie Garside's UK/GAC/ICANN/Unicode attempt to internationalize ISO 
3166 (which is the true multilingualization paradigm, precisely 
because it is only published in French/English). This is the same 
kind of impracticability that the WG-IDNABIS is faced with. I presume 
there are some meta-stability relations with GCD properties.

* the digital technology convergence. I have two problems with the 
Internet Classes (IC). (1) there is no way to police them and, 
therefore, they are a huge source of possible pollution by 
mismanagement or independent use, (2) their number is limited, while 
the present need would at least be of one per relational space, i.e. 
billions of them. This is a need that  Interplus is designed to support.

Let us clearly understand that I have lived with classes, groups, and 
externets (class + group restrictions, closed-user-groups, etc.) for 
more than 30 years now. These are basic distributed network building 
blocks the internet does not use (and actually blocks). Therefore, I 
would be worried indeed if you were proposing, with personal talent, 
political visibility, and international ITU authority, something that 
would not address the entire issue on shot (my advice) and not have 
been previously advised or reviewed by the people who I listed in the 
copy. They are, IMHO, able to technically comment and give their 
suggestions on this matter. I also Bccd a few persons who can in turn 
assist you in the political area, if they so desire.

I will certainly continue cooperating on this issue, moreover if you 
extend it to the general evolution of the internet as the pervasive 
multitechnology communication system of the digital ecosystem.

Best.

jfc

>From: "Dr. Francis MUGUET" <[email-masked]>
>To: "WSIS Civil Soc. WG on...snip... [email-masked]>
>Subject: [Gov 691] Opening / Ouverture competition DNS / ITU /IUT 
>expert mission
>
>English / Français
>
>Dear friends
>
>Your kind contributions and suggestions  ( whether  open or 
>confidential, formal or informal   )   are going to  be  most welcome.
>Indeed, following my presentation at the WSIS Forum,  ( 
><http://net4d.org/net4d-geneva-may09.html>Opening to competition the 
>namespace infrastructure 20 May 2009, Geneva ) , an expert mission 
>was granted to me by ITU in order to :
>    * Explore the technical possibilities allowed by the use of the 
> class parameter  ( cf. <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5395>RFC 5395 
> superseding  <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2929.txt>RFC 2929) 
> in order to open to competition the DNS namespace services 
> infrastructure of IP-based networks ;
>    * Assess the consequences in terms of IP-based networks ( 
> including Internet ) policies and governance, as well as for the 
> general economy, in particular to confront the economic crisis ;
>    * Assess other applications, as appropriate, such as, inter 
> alia, tools to enable the semantic web, to facilitate linguistic 
> diversity, to improve security , and to provide namespace services 
> for the "Net of Things", and "Next Generation Networks".
>that I intend to conduct in the most inclusive way..
>As output of this mission, two documents shall be available in an 
>open access manner :
>    * A background paper for the general public
>    * An issue paper for decision makers, analyzing the policy 
> aspects of the usage of DNS classes,
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>All the best
>
>Francis
>
>=======================================================
>
>Chers amis
>
>Vos contributions et suggestions (qu'elles soientt publiques ou 
>confidentielles, formelles ou informelles) vont être les bienvenues.
>En effet, à la suite de ma présentation dans le cadre du Forum 
>du  SMSI Forum, ( ( 
><http://net4d.org/net4d-geneva-may09.html>Opening to competition the 
>namespace infrastructure , Ouverture à la concurrence de 
>l'infrastructure  de l'espace de nommage 20 Mai 2009, Genève), une 
>mission d'expert m'a été confiée par l'UIT en vue de:
>
>     1. Explorez les possibilités techniques permises par 
> l'utilisation du paramètre class
>(cf. <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5395>RFC 5395 qui remplace 
>la   <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2929.txt>RFC 2929)  afin 
>d'ouvrir à la compétition, l'infrastructure des services de nommage 
>DNS des réseaux IP;
>     2. Évaluer les conséquences en termes des politiques et de la 
> gouvernance des  réseaux IP (en incluant l'Internet  lainsi que 
> pour l'économie en général, en particulier pour faire face à la 
> crise économique;
>     3. Évaluer d'autres applications appropriéés, telles que, entre 
> autres, des outils afin de permettre l'épanouissement de la Toile 
> Sémantique, afin de faciliter la diversité linguistique, afin 
> d'améliorer la sécurité, et de fournir des services de nommage pour 
> le "Réseau des Objets" et les Réseaux de Nouvelle Génération.
>
>que j'ai l'intention de conduire d'une façon aussi inclusive que 
>faire se peut.
>
>   Comme résultat de cette mission, deux documents seront 
> disponibles en libre accès:
>
>     1.        Un document d'information pour le grand public
>     2.        Un document pour les décideurs, analysant les aspects 
> politiques et gouvernance de l'utilisation des  classes DNS,
>
>
>
>
>--
>
>------------------------------------------------------
>Francis F. MUGUET Ph.D
>
>MDPI Foundation Open Access Journals
><http://www.mdpi.org>http://www.mdpi.org   http://www.mdpi.net
><mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked] 
><mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]
>
>KNIS <http://knis.org>http://knis.org
>Academic Collaboration / University of Geneva
><http://syinf.unige.ch/cooperation>http://syinf.unige.ch/cooperation
>
>Mobile France       +33 6 71 91 42 10
>        Switzerland  +41 78 927 06 97
>        Cameroun    +237 96 55 69 62 ( mostly in July )
>
>World Summit On the Information Society (WSIS)
>Civil Society Working Groups
>Scientific Information 
>:  <http://www.wsis-si.org>http://www.wsis-si.org  chair
>Patents & 
>Copyrights   :  <http://www.wsis-pct.org>http://www.wsis-pct.org co-chair
>Financing 
>Mechanismns  :  <http://www.wsis-finance.org>http://www.wsis-finance.org web
>Info. Net. 
>Govermance  :  <http://www.wsis-gov.org>http://www.wsis-gov.org  web
>
>NET4D : <http://www.net4D.org>http://www.net4D.org
>UNMSP : <http://www.unmsp.org>http://www.unmsp.org
>WTIS : <http://www.wtis.org>http://www.wtis.org   REUSSI : 
><http://www.reussi.org>http://www.reussi.org
>------------------------------------------------------
>_______________________________________________
>Gov mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://mail.conferences.tv/mailman/listinfo/gov