Subject: [iucg] Bidi debate

From: JFC Morfin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 23:11:15 +0100

Dear Colleagues,
I have listed a debate on the bidi experience and the possible impact 
of the semantic addressing. http://iucg.org/wiki/Bidi_discussion
You may want to comment on this.

The consensus seem to be that the remaining issues belongs to the 
user experience. This would confirm my appeal rock solid position 
that IDNA2008 as permitted by the Mapping document is Internet side 
IDNA builing block.

With the two consequences that the User side is still to be document, 
and the Mapping document key sentence is IDNA2008 founding principle:
"this document does not specify the behavior of a protocol that 
appears "on the wire". It describes an operation that is to be 
applied to user input in order to prepare that user input for use in 
an "on the network" protocol. As unusual as this may be for an IETF 
protocol document, it is a necessary operation to maintain 
interoperability. ....[while] creating mappings that might cause 
confusion for some users while alleviating confusion in other users. 
Such confusion is not covered in any depth in this document (nor in 
the other IDNA-related documents).

As unusual it may be, this is necessary to permit IDNA2008. This 
means that IDNA2008 is founded on operation that are unusual to the 
IETF and therefore to its network architecture.
We need to better understand this and the impact on usage.

Best
jfc