Subject: Re: [iucg] [GTLD-WG] At-Large, new gTLDs and Vertical Integration

From: JFC Morfin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 20:49:38 +0200

At 20:24 03/08/2010, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>I invite anyone interested in this issue to join the gTLD WG, which looks
>ready to be the home of two of ICANN's more ... lively ... issues: "vertical
>integration" and "morality and public order". This looks to be a lively time
>of year (unusually lively for those in the northern hemisphere).

Dear Evan,

all this is restricted to the ICANN's legal-technical area, i.e. 
class 1 (IN) and to the "internal internet" (i.e. pre-IDNA2008) 
understanding of naming. This means that the impact on end-user will 
be limited, since this is merely money/IPR oriented. However the 
exploration of the Class IN (for "IcanN"?) issues is of general 
interest and in some cases may be transposed to the three other 
naming contexts we will soon have to debate, after the IAB has 
decided or commented about the organization of this debate.

I remind readers that the four naming contexts under consideration are:

1. referent: system unique allocator - using a non-phishable 
character recognition system (Unicode restriction) - no IP involved.
2. identification: (possibly delegated) authority decides - this is 
the Registries discussed area ICANN tries to control - IP issues 
being involved.
3. designation: user chooses - like when you class your own archives, 
open roots - no IP involved.
4. signification: common understanding - ex. IDNA, open naming - IP 
issues should be considered once the proper focal point has been identified.

However, this is also to be considered in relations to the 
Presentation layer, and other related Internet architecture better 
readings, in the IDNA2008's wake.

jfc