Subject: Re: [iucg] [Int-area] My comments on draft-boucadair-intarea-nat-reveal-analysis-04 from the meeting

From: JFC Morfin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 11:34:43 +0100

At 05:13 28/11/2011, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> > => it is in the European Convention on Human Rights as a legal
> > principle so there is at least a basis but I am afraid it won't really
> > help. As a (French) lawyer explained to me one day, a legal text must be
> > as less accurate as possible so it can be applied to more than one
> > particular case so a legal principle...
>
>You appear to be claiming the in above that we are suppose to write
>"Privacy Considerations" without a clear definition of what could
>possibly be covered, except maybe "everything".

Andrew,

we are to reach a rough consensus. One cannot build a consensus in 
opposing some of the members. Whatever their motivations.

Now, how to do it? The need is not to cover everything, but to cover 
everything in our bailywick that may affect everything as defined by 
the obligations of the various national legal cultures. So, the point 
seems rather simple: to cover our tracks. Whatever privacy may be, 
the technical matter is about not giving away/leaking undisclosed 
(meta)data through what we permit to do. So the Internet works better 
(RFC 3935) not worse.

Questions:

1. which information do we use?
2. which information do we introduce?
3. in which way do/canwe expose them?
4. which steps do we already take not to (over)expose them?
5. are there additional step we could consider to cover our tracks?

If the responses do not gain the support of every people (for 
whatever reason) there will not be a consensus and nothing will be published.

jfc

>Ok, here's more boilerplate for you:
>
>     Privacy Considerations
>
>     This document may affect the privacy of someone on the Internet,
>     according to the definition of privacy in your jurisdiction.  You
>     are encouraged to consider that.
>
>That's all we can say, AFAICT from your response.
>
> > PS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Convention_on_Human_Rights
> > (see the article 8 about privacy).
>
>Yes, of course.  We should base new policies on the official opinion
>of all the people who can be bothered to work on Wikipedia articles.
>
>Best,
>
>A
>
>--
>Andrew Sullivan
>[email-masked]
>_______________________________________________
>Int-area mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area