Subject: [iucg] The reason why

From: Jefsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2014 14:58:39 +0200

"By now, most people know who Google is and what Google does. Google 
serves billions of online users in this country and around the world 
…  With little or no revenue from its users, Google still manages to 
turn a healthy profit by selling advertisements within its products 
that rely in substantial part on users' personal identification 
information … in this model, the users are the real product. "

http://www.scribd.com/doc/189329787/Google-Privacy-Policy-Ruling

This explains why we do not want to be subject, through an US 
incorporated structure, to a Law which considers us as edge 
providers' products. We consider ourselves as the independent users 
of a common resource we co-organize through our VGNs and we pay 
twice: (1) as an ISP subscriber and (2) as a tax payer having to 
compensate for the Google's tax deductions.

We demand our Governements to protect us from this legal creep, and 
our engineers to technically defend us from it. We therefore cannot 
adhere to a Sao Paulo document which reserves network neutrality for 
further discussions. We certainly are strangled right now, but we are 
too many to die.

jfc morfin
fsp4.net, bootstrapper

---

From: Alessandro Vesely <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 14:06:57 +0200

On Fri 09/May/2014 14:58:39 +0200 Jfc Morfin wrote: 

> that rely in substantial part on users’ personal identification
> information … *in this model, the users are the real product.* "
> 

Much the same critique of being slave drivers can be moved to TV and
radios.  What is baffling is that such vital functions, the planetary
databanks[1], have to hinge on advertising.  Sure there must be a
better economic model for the information age...

Ale
-- 
[1]: From "Meet Dave" (Appelez-moi Dave):

-Yes. I tapped into their central planetary databank, named "Google".

-What a frivolous name for such a vital function.

-Well, if you prefer, there's another called "Yahoo!".

-Baffling.