Subject: [jose] #11: Use RFC 5116 and remove MAC field

From: "jose issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 20:31:56 -0000

#11: Use RFC 5116 and remove MAC field

 RFC 5116 defines a standard interface to AEAD algorithms (including CCM
 and GCM), which produces a combined ciphertext and ICV as a single octet
 sequence.   JWE should use this standard interface instead of its own, and
 remove the "JWE Integrity Value" from JWE.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  draft-ietf-jose-json-web-
  [email-masked]        |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major        |  Milestone:
Component:  json-web-    |    Version:
  encryption             |   Keywords:
 Severity:  -            |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/jose/trac/ticket/11>
jose <http://tools.ietf.org/jose/>

---

From: "jose issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 19:41:49 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 After a conversation initiated by Joe Hildebrand and a call scheduled by
 Matt Miller, David McGrew? has agreed refactor draft-mcgrew-aead-aes-hmac-
 sha2 so that the inputs and outputs are specified separately and
 independently from the RFC 5116 encoding of those values, as documented in
 the minutes at ​http://www.ietf.org/mail-
 archive/web/jose/current/msg01884.html. While RFC 5116 specifies a binary
 serialization for authenticated encryption algorithms, JWE specifies a
 textual serialization. This refactoring would make it easy for JOSE to use
 the McGrew? draft, since the computation would be specified separately
 from the serialization, should the working group choose to do so.

 JWA could then reference the appropriate sections of draft-mcgrew-aead-
 aes-hmac-sha2 and JWE could include an example computation for this
 algorithm, making it easy for developers to build.

  encryption             |  Resolution:
 Keywords:               |

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/jose/trac/ticket/11#comment:1>
jose <http://tools.ietf.org/jose/>