Subject: [jose] #13: Enable AEAD key wrapping

From: "jose issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 23:23:24 -0000

#13: Enable AEAD key wrapping

 Wrapped keys in JWE and JWS (pending Issue #2) need to be able to use AEAD
 algorithms for key wrapping.  Thus, these objects need to be able to
 specify AEAD algorithm parameters (e.g., IVs) for both the key wrapping
 operation and the encryption operation.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]               |      Owner:  draft-barnes-jose-use-
     Type:  defect                   |  [email-masked]
 Priority:  major                    |     Status:  new
Component:  draft-barnes-jose-use-   |  Milestone:
  cases                              |    Version:
 Severity:  -                        |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/jose/trac/ticket/13>
jose <http://tools.ietf.org/jose/>

---

From: "jose issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 23:23:40 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * owner:  [email-masked] => draft-ietf-jose-
     [email-masked]
 * component:  draft-barnes-jose-use-cases => json-web-encryption

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]   |       Owner:  draft-ietf-jose-json-web-
     Type:  defect       |  [email-masked]
 Priority:  major        |      Status:  new
Component:  json-web-    |   Milestone:
  encryption             |     Version:
 Severity:  -            |  Resolution:
 Keywords:               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/jose/trac/ticket/13#comment:1>
jose <http://tools.ietf.org/jose/>

---

From: "jose issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 21:50:45 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 It seems to me that the term "key wrapping" is being used for two
 different things in discussions with the JOSE working group:  (1)
 Encrypting the ephemeral symmetric key value used within a JWE and (2)
 encrypting a JWK or JWK Set containing symmetric and/or private key
 information and potentially other key attributes, enabling the encrypted
 JWK or JWK Set to be safely stored or transported.  It think it would
 clarify the discussions to clearly distinguish between these use cases,
 and to consider them separately.

 For instance, I don't think anyone is proposing using A128GCM or
 A128CBC+HS256 directly for (1), whereas they can already be used as part
 of (2) if the JWK is encrypted in a JWE, per draft-miller-jose-jwe-
 protected-jwk.  Given the opinions voiced at the IETF 86 CFRG meeting that
 it's fine to use approved authenticated encryption algorithms to encrypt
 keys (http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/cfrg/current/msg03319.html), I
 believe that there's nothing additional we need to do to enable using
 these algorithms for (2).

 Finally, I believe that this issue statement would be much more useful if
 accompanied by a concrete proposed solution to be considered by the
 working group.  As it is, it's not clear what specific specification
 changes are being requested or suggested.

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/jose/trac/ticket/13#comment:2>
jose <http://tools.ietf.org/jose/>