Subject: Re: [karp] Splitting the draft

From: "Gregory M. Lebovitz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 08:32:11 -0800

Hey Bill,
Pls excuse the delay in responding. I've been in vacation mode for a while.

In my reply I'm cc'ing the mail list because I think others will 
benefit from the answer too. Also note that this is a VERY quick 
parsing, and only a suggestion. I think a small team of us could be 
on a call for and hour or so and get into the details to more 
thoroughly parse the sections into the new documents. I expect there 
will be much massaging from what i quickly write below.

At 03:54 AM 12/16/2009, Bill Atwood wrote:
>Hi, Greg,
>
>I have been looking at the list below, and trying to map it onto the
>existing document.  Maybe I am blind, but I am not having much success
>in figuring out how to correlate the proposed list of new documents with
>the sections of the existing document.

see below inline..

>Would it be possible for you to elaborate a bit more on how you see this
>evolving?  I need to ensure that what I volunteer for coincides with
>what I have some expertise in.  :-)
>
>I don't have any skill in threat analysis, or crypto, per se, but I am
>very interested in the framework for Automated Key Management.  There
>could be a nice academic project hidden inside that, although I would
>want to ensure that any proposed solution does not get in the way of
>effective deployment.
>
>   Bill
>
>Gregory M. Lebovitz wrote:
> > Hey Bill,
> > I just wanted to make sure that you are indeed coming to the KARP BoF
> > next week?
> >
> > Do you have any interest to be a document editor?  We are going to break
> > up the current "draft-lebovitz-kmart-roadmap" document into it's more
> > logical parts:

For everything below the references to section numbers are from 
draft-lebovitz-kmart-roadmap-03.

> >   - threat analysis & requirements

Sections 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 2, 3, 4.2, 4.5, 4.6, some of 5

> >   - Guidance to Authentication for Routing Protocol design teams (sort
> > of a step by step guide to doing the work for any given routing protocol)

sections 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 4.1, 4.4, some of 5
  The introduction to this document must clearly tell the reader to 
read the Threat Analysis & Requirements document, and the framework document.

> >   - Framework for the overall solution

sections 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 4.3, maybe some of 5

Also note that the text currently in -roadmap-03 is NOT the limit of 
what goes into these documents, but only the start. For example the 
framework document will, i expect, undergo a lot of change and 
receive a lot of additional text.

Hope that helps get us started,
Gregory.

> >
> > I intend to be a co-author on all of them, since most of the work is
> > just taking out the text from the current catch-all "roadmap" document,
> > but will probably only be lead editor on Framework, and maybe one other.
> > Let me know if you'd like to take one up as lead editor.
> >
> > Looking forward to your partnership in this effort,
> > Gregory.
> >
> > +++++++++++++++++++++++
> > IETF-related email from
> > Gregory M. Lebovitz
> > Juniper Networks
> > g r e go r  y d o t  i e tf a t  g m a i l  do t c o  m
>
>--
>
>Dr. J.W. Atwood, Eng.             tel:   +1 (514) 848-2424 x3046
>Distinguished Professor Emeritus  fax:   +1 (514) 848-2830
>Department of Computer Science
>    and Software Engineering
>Concordia University EV 3.185     email: [email-masked]
>1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West    http: //users.encs.concordia.ca/~bill
>Montreal, Quebec Canada H3G 1M8