Subject: Towards Kerberizing Web Identity and Services: new MITKC publication & new mailing-list

From: "Thomas Hardjono" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 12:41:32 -0500

Towards Kerberizing Web Identity and Services: a new publication from the
MIT Kerberos Consortium

One of the major goals of the MIT Kerberos Consortium (KIT-KC) is to
establish Kerberos as a ubiquitous authentication mechanism on the Internet
and also to make Kerberos appropriate for new environments. One of the key
efforts within the MIT-KC directed at this goal is the Kerberos-on-the-Web
(Kerb-Web) project.

The Kerberos-on-the-web project seeks initially to investigate the various
aspects of the development and deployment of Kerberos within the Web space.
This includes, among others:

(a) the use of the Kerberos authentication paradigm within the context of
web-authentication and web-services security,

(b) the possible architecture integration and interactions between the
Kerberos infrastructure and web-services security infrastructure,

(c) the possible enhancements of the Kerberos authentication protocol and
Kerberos token in order to address the requirements for Single-Sign-On (SSO)
on the Web and Web Identity Federation, and

(d) the potential re-use of existing Kerberos infrastructure investments in
enterprises and other organizations to support the deployment of
Kerberos-on-the-Web solutions.

In order to provide a starting point and context for discussions going
forward regarding Kerberos-on-the-web, the MIT-KC has issued a new
publication entitled "Towards Kerberizing Web Identity and Services". This
publication can be found in the following location:

http://kerberos.org/software/kerbweb.pdf

The MIT-KC is seeking feedback and input specifically on this publication.
These can be addressed to the MIT-KC strategic advisor ([email-masked]),
addressed to the authors of the publication and/or posted to the new
mitkc-web mailing-list (see below).

Additionally, as an accompaniment to this new publication the MIT-KC has
created a new mailing-list dedicated to Kerberos-on-the-Web. This
mailing-list aims to be an open venue where issues and challenges in
bringing Kerberos to the Web can be discussed.

http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/mitkc-web

------------------------------------------------------------