Subject: [kitten] Kitten at IETF 113 / Vienna ??

From: Rick van Rein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 06:47:02 +0000

Hello,

Will the Kitten WG be active during IETF 113 at Vienna?

I would like to discuss the work we did on SASL over Diameter, and
perhaps also HTTP-SASL.

Diameter Extensions seems to be pretty much inactive, so Kitten may
be the place to discuss this.  I need an RFC before I can get hold
of the global AVP Codes needed for proper interoperability.  Also,
I made a non-standard use of Channel Binding for SASL.  At the very
least I would like to discuss whether this should be an individual
submission or one that is carried by Kitten.  I am not completely
certain about the embedding of GSS-API.

The great benefit of Diameter is that it allows SASL traffic to
be "brought back home", that is to the domain of the client trying
to authenticate.  This can be used for such things as IMAP folders
as public archives of [access-restricted] email lists, SMTP with
authentication between domains, and HTTP accounts which are not
specific to a web server.  It brings control of user/group accounts
back to the client's domain.

HTTP-SASL primarily belongs with the HTTP WG, but the input from
Kitten is desirable.  Bringing SASL to HTTP brings the latter up to
date with mechanisms developed for SASL in general, and SASL may
benefit from added mechanisms through this route as well (it is
certainly more open than the HTTP Authentication framework, which
has indeed seen no progression, also because interactive mechs
tend to be done in JavaScript, rather than in the more dependable
HTTP coding level).

I am happy to present the latter at Kitten, and eager to discuss
the work on SASL over Diameter.  I would already be happy with an
online event; I don't feel that relaxed about Corona anyway, but
the progress of this work calls for some attention if it is not to
loose the energy we have now for finishing it.

Thanks,

Rick van Rein
Henri Manson
Adriaan de Groot

Documents:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-vanrein-httpauth-sasl/06/
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-vanrein-internetwide-realm-crossover
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-vanrein-diameter-sasl/