Subject: [kitten] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-kitten-tls-channel-bindings-for-tls13-14: (with COMMENT)

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2022 04:05:02 -0800

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-kitten-tls-channel-bindings-for-tls13-14: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/ 
for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-kitten-tls-channel-bindings-for-tls13/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the work put into this document.

Special thanks to Alexey Melnikov for the shepherd's write-up including the
section about the WG consensus even if I would have appreciated the
justification for proposed standard status.

As Martin Duke wrote: let's have the abstract and the meta-data "update" be
consistent (I am not raising a DISCUSS as I trust Ben and Martin for handling
this issue).

The whole text is rather dry, and the introduction would have benefited to the
readers if it included more context and explanations.

I am also assuming that in section 2 the length is really 32 octets while the
string "EXPORTER-Channel-Binding" has only 25 characters (I had no time to dig
into the details of RFC 5705).

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2022 11:58:10 +0000

Hi Éric,

Just to clarify 1 thing:

> into the details of RFC 5705).
The label is input to the hashing function described in RFC 8446. The 
output length of that function is 32 octets.

Best Regards,
Alexey

---

From: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2022 12:33:01 +0000

Thank you Alexey for the clarification

Kind regards

-éric

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, 3 March 2022 at 12:58
To: Eric Vyncke <[email-masked]>, The IESG <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-kitten-tls-channel-bindings-for-tls13-14: (with COMMENT)

    Hi Éric,

    Just to clarify 1 thing:

    Best Regards,
    Alexey